Chapter 1

To me, a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug. —Helen Keller

Scribbling. Pencil, pen, erasers removing the notes only to be written over again. God, it was so quiet and boring. A group of students was hovering over books and spiral notebooks too focused to pay attention to even one another. Occasionally one or more would pop their heads up and ask a question on a certain topic and then just go right back to what they were doing. Especially one student so nose deep into her studies not even her friends could snap her out of it.

Seraphina Sky, a young girl of nineteen had her eyes skimming over everything from her book and frantically jotting down what she knew she'd need. Going back to not even her friends disturbing her studies, there was one person that got her attention every time. Her mother's name lit up on the screen of her phone.

This is the seventh time already, Seraphina thought in a grumbled tone. She didn't bother to open the text, not wanting to give her mother the hint that she even saw it.

Seraphina was in college to be a nurse. Ever since she was young she always loved to help people. But despite her wants, her parents would nag on and on about how they wanted her to become a lawyer instead. And right now, her mother was flooding her messages asking when she was coming home so they all could talk. Seraphina knew where this was going, as always. It was never-ending of what her parents envisioned for her. Seraphina wished her classes would never end so she wouldn't have to go home. Sadly, there were only 20 minutes left.

~~~

Stepping out of the campus doors, Seraphina trucked it to the woods nearby. There was nowhere in hell she was going home that fast to just hear her parents nag like it was going to do something. At least the woods would be peaceful and welcoming.

Looking up to the sky, the leaves gave decent shade from the sun that threatened to blind her as it was setting. Sticks and decaying leaves crunched under Seraphina's steps as she traveled in more watching her surroundings. Peaceful as expected. Calm and relaxing, why can't life always be like this, she thought as she sighed out.

Leaning against a large trunk to give her legs a rest, Seraphina closed her eyes to gather her thoughts better. When she got home, she was just going to let her parents say whatever it was again like always and just keep doing what she was going to do. It's her dream. Not her parents. What good could she be as a lawyer? It is boring to her. And god knows what cases she'd get and what people she'd have to deal with. At least at the hospital she would be actively doing things with her co-workers and patients. More action, more helping, more having people feel better!

As Seraphina's traveled more in her mind, her thoughts were disrupted from the sound of cracking sticks behind her. She stepped forward a great distance before snapping around and ducking in case it was a person grabbing for her. In her line of sight, a fox was staring at her like she had startled it from its daily activity. Seraphina looked a little longer before rubbing her eyes. When she opened them again, she muttered a curse before standing up.

"Am I crazy or did that fox have three tails?" She rolled her eyes at her own insane thoughts and looked around. How silly, a fox with three tails? What is this, some Japanese anime with Kitsune women? Right.

The sun was just barely giving light now. She huffed and made her way out of the forest to head back home. It was best before it got too dark.

~~~

The moment Seraphina stepped through the door, her mother bombarded her with an angered tone. Her father wasn't as amused either.

"And where were you? I've been texting you and asking when you'd be home. It's late."

"Classes went later because we have to study for exams." Seraphina adjusted her bag on her shoulder as her mother scuffed at the mention of her classes.

"There we go again. Seraphina, we have got to seriously talk about things. Your future is at hand. Your father and I keep telling you that you'd be much better as a lawyer. You're so smart, why not use your smarts in a better field?"

As her mother continued on and on, her father was adding in here and there about her future and where it would be best she'd be at. Seraphina had wanted to just let them all out and just walk away but she couldn't handle it anymore. She screamed, cutting both of her parents off guard. Her mother's applaud look could've humored a whole room...

"It's my future! I'm nineteen for god sake! I'm an adult! I can do whatever I want! I will continue to do what I want even if I fail at it. Because at least I tried and loved it! I want to be a nurse. So just back off." Seraphina dodged around her parents as she stormed to her room. Hot angry tears threatened to escape as her mother yelled at her from yelling at them. Seraphina didn't care. It was her life, her future, she was going to do what she wanted with it and make the most of it. Not live out her parent's stupid request or dream.