Chapter 22

"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration." - Claude Monet

"How is he?"

"He's stable again. He'll recover in a while. For now, he just needs to rest and not move."

Dorian and Seraphina let out relieved sighs and relaxed. Today was never predicted.

"How could she...," Seraphina looked at Dorian. He didn't quite understand either but he had enough reason to believe it was because of him. Elvina's obsession with him drove her to do this now that Seraphina came into the picture. It needed to end. Elvina is required to leave at once now. She needed to suffer the consequences now.

"Elvina, bring her to the throne room at once. I'll be taking my father's place today. Her trial is to be performed this instant."

"Yes, your highness!" Guards traveled away out the doors of the Fairy King's bedroom.

"Son, you don't have to do that right now. Take a moment." The Queen gave a soft look. She could see the frustration in her son's eyes. She'd never seen him so upset before, so in pain and angry. Dorian was always a happy smiling man.

"It's alright mother. I must do this. Elvina is to take up her own part of the deal she made with Seraphina and today's events will make that come quicker. She must fast the consequences. She harmed father, our people, Seraphina. It's time to fully end this."

~~~

Guards stood around against the walls of the throne room as many others flooded in and filled in the gaps they could. Dorian sat on the throne of his father's, angered eyes down at the floor in front of him. The doors opened as guards stormed in with Elvina being dragged behind in shackles. She was in tears, looking around, and yelled for help. When she spotted Dorian, she gave a weak victimized smile.

"Dorian, let me go. Please? I did nothing wrong!"
No one spoke. Dorian didn't even flinch at the sight of her. He was seeing red himself.

"Elvina. You did no wrong? Is that your defending words?"

"Yes! I've done nothing wrong! What happened today had to happen!"

Everyone shook their heads. Seraphina and her friends watched from the corner of the room. They could feel a mix of emotions in the room. Sorrow, pain, revenge, hatred, vengeance. Everything you could feel in one big swirled storm.

"You led a herd of Wendigos into our village."

Elvina stared at Dorian with a blank wide stare. She had no emotions on her face now.

"Do you have anything to say?"

"Those fairies didn't have to die if you just sent Seraphina away." Elvina's voice was cold and emotionless. "I took five fairies as bait for those Wendigos to get their trust. Those five didn't have to die if she just died in the forest. But you left me with no choice. I had to do it. I gave those five fairies to the Wendigos and watched them get devoured. One of them was even a child."

Gasps and cries echoed in the room. Sobs rang out filling in Dorian's ears.

"She screamed to be saved just like the rest of them. Crying for me to stop it all and take her back home. I watched as just like the rest of them, her head was bitten and ripped off from her body. I'd do it again too. I'll destroy another whole village for you Dorian. You're mine! I've known you the longest! I know more about you! Seraphina just showed up! A human of all girls anyway! She's nothing! You'll never be happy with her like you would be with me!"

"Silence! Elvina Fay, you are hereby revoked your title as Fairy Warrior. For your crimes against the fairy kingdom and your own people, you are hereby sentenced to death. Immediately!"

Elvina let out a right shrieked no. Screams and curses at everyone Elvina could look at and attack verbally left her mouth. Guards dragged her out of the room and outside the castle. Everyone followed.

~~~

The grounds were filled with surviving villagers now. Elvina was kneeling on a wooden platform with a guard and executioner. Cheers and yells of Elvina's death filled the sunny hot air.

"Elvina must go! Elvina must go!"

"This is the only way!"

Dorian stood with Seraphina and her friends. Rowan sighed at the pitiful sight. Even he didn't think Elvina would've gone this far.

"Any last words?" A guard looked at Elvina.

She looked at Dorian in the crowd and then at Seraphina with an icy glare.

"You'll never be enough for Dorian. Remember who you are and what you are."

Dorian hissed and gave the signal for Elvina to be executed. The executioner nodded, held his axe high, and brought it down in a swift clean motion. Elvina's head dropped and rolled on the platform. It dropped off and hit the ground. Everyone cheered now. A death that was to be celebrated.

"That's the end." Dorian let out a shaken sigh. Rowan patted his friend's shoulder with a soft sympathetic smile. Seraphina nodded, still feeling some guilt left over that it had to come to this.

"Chin up girl!" Nova grabbed onto Seraphina's arm. "Elvina is gone now! She won't be causing you any more problems. You or Dorian or his family! You're free!"

"She's got a point. Now we can actually focus on ourselves without her interfering."

Seraphina nodded. Yeah, that's true. No more problems for them both now. They'd be able to actually spend time together now and relax.

"Yeah," Seraphina smiled happily. Dorian blushed to see her bright expression towards him.

"Let's go now. Clean up and relax, get something to eat, and try to move past this faster now. We have a lot to take care of now. Father will be healing and we'll have to talk to him as well."

Everyone let out excited yells and made their way back inside the castle.