Chapter 17

"Keep close to Nature's heart...and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." – John Muir (see more )

Rowan and Seraphina's friends traveled back to the fairy kingdom. The friends stared in awe, studying the world that was so closely connected to theirs, that anyone could probably stumble into it.

The world was bright and soft, like a warm calm dream—a fairy tale dream of a child in a peaceful state of rest and pure bliss. The castle was just that too. Beautiful and tall that glistened in the sun's rays. A true fairy tale.

~~~

Seraphina's friends stood before the fairy king and queen with Rowan. They were greeted with warm smiles and praises for their safe coming.

Samuel spoke out first, his concern gained a soft expression from the king, "You're Highness, Seraphina, is she alright? We've been looking for the past few days and all of us are freaking out."

"Seraphina is fine. But, she has taken part in a challenge despite our pleas. She believed that this challenge was something she had to take to prove something to us, herself, and to everyone else that witnessed it take place."

Her friends weren't the least surprised by this at all. Seraphina was notorious for accepting bets or dares when it came to proving something of herself. She would do anything to prove something of herself to keep people silent and not talk crap.

"Is she safe?" Nova questioned. Rowan flinched at her voice. I guess the threat still shivers through him.
"Her last day is nearing. She's been sent to the Forbidden Forest to survive three days." The queen gave a sympathetic look. She wanted to say that their friend, and Dorian's mate, was fine, but she didn't want to give high hopes in case she was not. Even she knew better than to fill the heads of the unsuspected and naive.

Her friends looked at one another with worried looks. Even they knew something like that didn't sound as great compared to fairy tales.

Charlotte smiled, " This is Seraphina, she always finds a way to make things out her way. She'll be fine!"

As Rowan, the royal family, and Seraphina's friends all talked, Dorian was off listening in from the doors.

They were right, he thought to himself. Seraphina was fine and he'd make sure of it.

Dorian marched down the hall from the throne room, back to his studies.

~~~

The day continued like any other. Rowan explained Seraphina's story of how she came to their world. Her friends were the least surprised.

"Seraphina always wanders when she's in search of figuring out something in her head. She's always getting into trouble with it," Charlotte explained. Nova and Samuel nodded in agreement.

"When Seraphina has so much on her mind, she gets lost more than she realizes. The last time she wandered so far from us because she was so lost in thought, Seraphina fell and got stuck in a hole that some dog dug."

Rowan tried not to laugh at that.

"So what's with this place?" Samuel and Nova were looking around at everything. They were all sitting in the dining hall after having lunch with the royal family.

"Everything here is so beautiful and calm, it's like this place is just a very prophetic dream."

"This world is not that though. At least, most of the time. Our world is bright and calm but it's darker than what you all believe."

Charlotte, Samuel, and Nova all looked at Rowan confused. The only fairy tales they knew of were the ones from childhood. Books, movies, and TV shows. But this isn't their world or even their home country either.

"The fairy world is not of that of peace and clarity. As much as there are fairies, our world holds gods, demons, spirits, and shades. Darker things that are cruel and evil. The things that fairy tales leave out. The things that torture and kill. Our world could turn from light to darkness in a matter of seconds. Our world could blend with the Forbidden Forest and we all can become the darker versions of ourselves for a long time. And those who are innocent, hide away until it all passes."

Seraphina's friends paled at the words. They had heard some things about how the Fairy realm was different from the one they knew. But they didn't think it was this different.

"Your world believes that Tinkerbell is the real version of the said realm we live in. It is but it is not."

"Is that why the Forbidden Forest exists?" Samuel asked, wondering if that's what Seraphina is going through.
"Yes. The forest is there to keep good and bad at balance in case anything happens and one or the other needs to overtake each other to keep the balance for a while. It was the safest option for our world."

"What!?"

The shrieks from all three of them made Rowan jump. But they had to know that this is what Seraphina was facing.

"She took the challenge. She didn't know what she got herself into. We all tried to tell her and convince her. But she still pushed to do it anyway. Her time to come home to us is nearly over."

"Is she going to be okay..." Nova was worried. She was gripping her table, her knuckles turning white.

"Head up girl," Charlotte and Samuel smiled. "It's Seraphina, she'll be just fine! She's the toughest girl we know. She doesn't let anything overtake her!"

Everyone smiled at Charlotte's enthusiasm. She had a point. Seraphina would be fine and she'd come back strong and ready to face the person who challenged her. They all had their fingers crossed for it. Still in worry.