Chapter 2

There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature-the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. —Rachel Carson

Seraphina brushed through her copper-toned locks as she hummed to herself in peace. She had plans to go hang out with her friends and she was going to take that opportunity.

Once she was done getting ready, Seraphina headed out. Her destination was her friend Nova's house. That's where everyone was gathering as of now. She was greeted happily at the door by everyone as they all settled in together in Nova's room. They all were talking about the upcoming trip that their class was going to be going on. A European trip to be correct! Everyone was really excited!

"Even if it is for class, it's still a break and a place to finally go other than repeating every day here. A breath of fresh air and scenery," Seraphina smiled to herself. Her friends agreed with her. A break was well deserved and needed.

One friend spoke up with a mischievous look and a purred tone.

"What about the men too! Can't go wrong with how most of them look!" Laughter broke out and some eyes rolled at the nonsense. They'd been waiting to see who'd say it first.

Seraphina broke open one of her textbooks and shook her head. No, she'd be there to see the beautiful scenery of nature and breath-taking sights of towns and cities that were being offered to her eyes. Men can wait. But adventure and new territory must be discovered and painted into her mind! Memories to be kept for life.

The group of girls muttered among themselves after a while as studying started. They can daydream and girls talk about the trip and anything else when it comes but they were all serious for the exams to come following.

~~~

Nova and Seraphina had buddied up like the rest while studying but after some time, exhaustion had kicked in. Seraphina was knocked out not long after that. She didn't know why exhaustion had hit her but it felt good just to close her eyes and drift away.

"Go."

Seraphina was in a void of darkness as the word Go echoed all around her.

"What? Go? Go where?"

A soft light appeared next to her feet as it formed into a hazy solid shape. The fox she saw in the woods was looking up at her. It didn't blink the moment their eyes locked onto one another.

Seraphina knew she was dreaming, but it was a weird coincidence that this is happening again. Felt so real again to see the fox.

"Go on that trip. You must go and don't let anyone stop you. Your future is there when the day comes for the trip. You must go."

The fox bounced away into the dark abyss ahead as the soft light of its figure dissipated. Seraphina wanted to call out to it but her mouth didn't follow through. Soon she felt the heaviness of the world around her grow. She was waking up now.

So weird, Seraphina thought to herself.

Once she awoke, Seraphina rubbed her eyes from the sleep. The nagging feeling of what the fox had said to her in her dream was still lingering. It was a strong feeling.

"I've got to go," she mumbled to herself, not wanting anyone else to hear her. "The fox says I have to go. Sounds crazy but what if that fox is telling the truth, what if what I want for my future is really there?"

Seraphina was determined to follow through now. She'd go and whether or not the dream was true, at least it would be worth the expense.

To the unwelcoming you guessed it moment, her phone was vibrating beside her. Her serpent of mom was lighting up the screen.

"At this point, I think your mom has telepathy. She always manages to call at the best moments to make it worse." Nova was flicking her pencil around as Seraphina tapped in her password and answered the call.

"Tell me about it," She shrugged with an eye roll. "Yeah?"

"You are not going on this school trip young lady!"

A mental groan nearly escaped her lips as Seraphina placed her phone down on the table. Everyone around her could hear her mom ragging about the trip. And she wasn't even on speaker.

"It's dangerous Seraphina. You don't know what's out there, the people, the places. What if you get lost and end up not being able to call for anyone to help. What if you can't understand them either!"

Does her mother forget that most places, if not all, speak some English? Jeez.

Nova had puckered her lips as she balanced the pencil on her upper lip trying not to laugh.

"Mom, that's why we are staying in a group or at least groups. We'll have a place for all of us to stay so if we do get lost we know where to just go if it happens." Seraphina knew that logical would win if it was anyone else she was fighting with, but with her mother, she always found something to use against Seraphina.

The silence was on the other side of the call. Only faint annoyed breathing was passing through the speaker.

"That trip is stupid!" A louder yell boomed through the speakers making everyone jump. Oh no.

"What will a stupid trip help with your future? Lawyers don't need to take trips out of the country! Stop this ridiculousness and get back home! You will not be going on this stupid trip if it can be prevented! You aren't thinking about your future at all and I will not st-"

Seraphina unhung up on her mother before she could even finish that sentence. Her blood was boiling now at this point and she had had enough! She was going on that trip and even if she got lost that would be an excuse to permanently find a way to stay there and start her life over! She'd take what she could get just to leave!

Nova and some of the other girls looked at Seraphina in sympathy. Seraphina smiled as she relaxed," Don't worry, I'm going no matter what."