Chapter 10

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so fuckin' heroic."
― George Carlin

Morning rose and the sound of birds aided Seraphina's eyes to open. A Cardinal and Blue Jay hopped on the windowsill, singing bright and happy.

Seraphina stretched with a whine, feeling more rested than she ever felt. She rose up and pulled herself out of the comfort of the bed.

"Ha..." Seraphina's eyes met herself in the mirror on a desk. She definitely had more rest and looked more aware than before.

That's when all her memories of yesterday hit her. Flashed like she just witnessed her final day.

A knock was at her room door as she quickly got dressed. A fairy maid stepped into the room, greeted her warmly, and informed her that the King and Queen were waiting in the dining hall for her. Breakfast was ready as well, Seraphina's stomach growled at the mention of food. She had forgotten that she'd only eaten lunch yesterday and the concept of dinner never crossed her mind while she was thrown into the magical world.

"Thank you," Seraphina glowed with a smile. The maid nodded and disappeared from the doorway as the door closed.

Dorian crossed her mind now. She remembered how he held her last night while that fairy girl screamed her dislike and venom curses at her. What was her name? She couldn't remember now. That wasn't the most important one on her mind. Dorian was.

Seraphina felt her cheeks burn at the thought of him. She figured she'd see him at breakfast so Seraphina rushed herself out of the guest room and to the dining hall. The best way she found it was to follow the glorious smell of freshly made food.

~~~

As the halls passed by her, Seraphina made it to the dining room. The King and Queen were seated, laughing to themselves in conversation. Both of them looked up to see Seraphina and they greeted her over to sit with them. Seraphina noticed Dorian was nowhere to be found.

"Where is your son?"

"He is being a shy one right now," The Queen gave her a reassuring smile. Seraphina smiled back nodding to her.

Speaking of the devil, Dorian came through the doors looked around, and landed on Seraphina. Seraphina noticed a small blush forming on his face as he walked over and took his spot across from her.

"Good morning," Seraphina smiled with her eyes landed on her hands. Her shyness was feeding her as well.

"So, why don't we skip some of the serious business and relax. Seraphina, is it alright if we ask something about you?"

Seraphina shook her head. Questions about herself followed out one by one from the King and Queen. Seraphina giggled as she answered them. Some of them were very childish, like what was her favorite animal? Season and does enjoy dancing.

The Queen smiled as she rested her chin on her folded hands, asking her next question rather calming, "What's your family like dear?"

Seraphina gave silence for a minute. Her mom and dad had slipped her mind only because she was enjoying herself so much. There were no phone calls, spammed texts, and threats of finding her and dragging her back home. It was great.

"To be honest, my family is fine I guess, aside from the yelling and nagging and threats. But what can I do? I am pursuing my own dream and not what my parents wanted."

The King and Queen nodded. Dorian was enjoying himself too. Eating as he listened to his future queen speak about herself. She spoke just as bright and bold as she looked.

"Dorian sweety," The Queen looked over at him," Why not show Seraphina around the kingdom? You both should have some time as well to get to know one another and your father and I believe it is good for her to see this place. She is your fated mate so she must see her future home."

Seraphina and Dorian looked at one another again, smiling at each other, and stood up after they finished eating, excusing themselves from the table and hurried off together.

King Alfred and his wife smiled in a hushed chuckle at the new couple.

"Dorian," King called out to his son. His voice boomed off the walls of the dining hall.

Both he and Seraphina turned to his father in question.

"Take care of that girl, boy." King Alfred smiled.

~~~

Both Dorian and Seraphina wandered the halls of the castle. Seraphina saw rooms filled with portraits and paintings of many. A room where Dorian plays his music when he can't go out to the lake to play with Rowan. Even the grounds where the guard pixies spar and Dorian would occasionally train as well.

Every detail of the castle flooded Seraphina's brain like a child reading the most colorful and happiest fairytale. Fairytale, that's what it was, that's what Seraphina thought of this as again. Her own fairytale, but it was real.

"Seraphina," Dorian called to her. She looked at him and smiled.

"Let's head to the town yes? I think you'll like it out there." Dorian lead her out of the castle and down a pathway through the forest. A path came to view for them and they followed it. This way would lead them to the town.

"Do you mind if I tag along!" Rowan was running down the path after them, waving with a smile.

"I don't mind," Seraphina smiled. "Neither do I."

All three of them wandered down to the village below the path from the castle. Small talk between all of them, Rowan's curious unfolding in layers like a Tree Peony made both Dorian and Seraphina laugh.

Everyone's questions were child-like, which isn't anything unexpected.

In town, the village was busy. Creatures raced up and down the dirt and cobbled streets. Fairy people walked and flew by in a hurry or in a stroll. Seraphina was amazed by how much there really was already. And it was only her first full day here.

"Dorian?" A familiar voice caught Seraphina's attention.

There she was though. Leaning against a wooden pole in a shop behind her, blonde locks shimmering like sun rays and halo glitter. Her eyes were silver, but they showed to Seraphina like metal, hard and full of distaste at her sight.

"She's still here?"