Chapter Thirty - Ezra

Another missed call from Dad.

Another voicemail.

Another regret.

Powering off my phone, I shove it into my pocket and take another drink of beer. I savor the familiar burn as I swallow.

The Drunken Sailor is busy tonight. I watch the hockey game that comes from the TV hanging above the bar and pretend that I'm an invested, die-hard fan. Neither team is winning, but I am compelled to root for both of them. Everyone deserves a win once in a while.

Except me, apparently.

Already on my third beer, I'm teetering on the edge of almost completely drunk. I remember my college days. Well, the last year of college anyway. I went to all these parties. Back then I was a "fun drunk." The partier. The goofball. The clown. Now, I'm the depressed and self-loathing drunk.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

How do you like your "little fighter" now, Mom?

I wince at the memory of Mom's old nickname for Liam and me. She only started using it in the middle of everything bad that was happening at our new church – all the ugly and spiteful people – she and Dad fought hard every single day. As a child and a teenager, I admired their tenacity, their unflinching courage, and their unwillingness to compromise for anyone. And Liam and I were her "little fighters" – every Sunday, standing by their side, supporting them through the hurt.

Until it got to be too much.

How do you like me now?

Despite all my hopes and dreams, I became the broken link in our family history, now a rich heritage of faith interrupted.

Finishing the last of my beer, Amy appears in front of me from out of nowhere. It's been a few weeks since we spent the night together, but it feels good to think that she remembers me after all this time.

"Hey, stranger," she says.

"Hey." I offer a half-smile.

"What's got you down today?"

"Same ol' story."

"Well, that's no fun."

I chuckle. "Yeah. That's one way to put it."

"Tell me about it," she says as she ties the apron around her waist and proceeds to wipe down the bar top.

"Let's see," I start, taking a drink, "I lost my job, my apartment, and I can't paint to save my life. You tell me."

She smiles and nods as she dries a glass mug.

"Any luck finding work?"

Staring at the empty bottle in front of me, I shake my head. "No one wants to hire a drunk. Especially one with an incomplete degree in art." I laugh at the absurdity of it all. At the absurdity of my own disaster.

"Chicago's a big place. I'm sure you'll find something. You just have to keep trying."

"I hope so." But I doubt it.

"Hey, uh... You taking care of yourself?"

I nod. "As well as I can."

"Good." She clears her throat. "You look good, Ezra. For a while there I was worried that something bad had happened to you."