Chapter Forty-Eight - Ezra

"Remember the promise we made when we were kids?" I ask. Liam and I lay next to each other on the roof of our house outside Liam's bedroom window, staring up at the stars, dressed in sweats and hoodies to fend off the cold. Elaine is asleep in my room, so Liam and I will share his room, which is just fine with me.

"Which one? The one where we'd join the Navy together? Or the one where we'd become rock stars?"

"Well, you'd be the rock star and I would be your manager."

We laugh.

"But no. I mean the one where we promised to travel the world together."

Liam nods. "Yeah, I remember."

"So... let's do it."

"What? Now?"

"Yeah, Christmas break is coming up in a few weeks for you. Let's take a road trip."

Silence. Then, "Okay. Let's do it."

I smile. "Perfect. Where do you want to go first?"

"As far away from here as possible."

"I think I can do that,little brother." So, under the light of abillion stars being born at once, here beside my little brother, finally homeagain, we sail. Like astronauts. High above the grief. High above the regret.High above the fury and the fear. High above all the things that have brokenand all the things that hurt. We sail, higher and higher and higher. Up here,everything is brighter. Up here, we thunder across a technicolor sea of starsand their light is enough to guide us home. Uphere, the future is ours. And it is bright.

THE END

If you enjoyed this story, please make sure to vote and share it with your friends!