Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"I love you Ammi"

"I love you Ammi"

Sana's words resonated with her brain not leaving her alone. It's been more than three hours since she left for her camp to wherever she was going. Yasmeen didn't ask where, she didn't feel the need then but now she felt this weird uneasiness in her chest. The ache of something unknown made her restless. She glanced at her phone fingers fidgeting to call her and talk to her. Reply to her confession.

The oven alarm beeped, breaking her thoughts. Yasmeen placed the tray down, removed her baking gloves, and stared at the freshly baked goodies, thinking back to the morning, to her words.

Her throat felt constricted looking at them, the realization hitting her hard that never she fed her youngest child the delicacies she proudly talked about. Never did she see Sana have a taste of something everyone talked about or loved.

She felt regret and guilt shooting her heart, her face engraved in her thoughts. She felt her insides clenching and her knuckles fisting as the first tear rolled down her cheeks.

"Yasmeen?" Wajid saw his wife standing with pain laced all over her face. He wanted to console her but he had a hunch why this grief was present there in the first place.

"I have been so hard on my youngest child, Wajid. I always criticized her, wanting her to shape the same way my other children are." She admitted. "You know Sana always did things I asked her not to, always rebelling against my word. It was frustrating then but these days I felt her doing it intentionally as if she was challenging me and I reacted just the way. I want the best for her, I have always wanted all the happiness for my babies but I didn't mean to overlook her hurts. I did not. I thought I knew my child but now I realize how much I didn't. I kept comparing my baby, always pushing her to be someone when I knew she'll never be that. Sana is her person. She's the bravest of three, stubborn, confident, and a speaker I can't take her into this meek and quiet girl I was trying to. Sana can never be that. She loves speaking her mind." She leaned in his arms, turning to look into his eyes "But Wajid did not tell me her mind. Not once did she question my behavior towards her. She suffered my scolding, my harshness without a word failing me in my outlook of her. I failed my child"

"Yasmeen you were strict with her but that doesn't mean you don't love her. You do. Just you have a different way to show your love. Some pamper their child and some keep them on leashes. You do the same but you need to show your love to her, express it. You can't take her down with anger or hold, you need to let her loose so she can fly but still be with you. You keep her on a leash but pamper her too, trust me our little monkey wouldn't leave your side" he joked, making her chuckle. She wiped her tears away.

"Yes. Let her come back. I'll pamper her with the world" she resolved.

"See. You're the best mother Sana or any of our children could ask for. Don't ever doubt that." He raised her chin and she nodded. "Just not the best wife, you don't give me sweets"