Chapter 4: Red?

The small team stays still in their positions with only their eyes and arms in motion.

Xyrene reads through the articles and an unusual mark makes her review it once again. She rushes searching for the reviewed one. "Where did I place it? How did I not realize?" The loud rustling startles Mason and Rafael and they fix their gaze on Xyrene's movements. "Oh, yes! I found it!," she holds the two sheets up in the air, against the light.

"Wait. Found what?," the two guys ask at the same time. Mason stares at it, "What's that red mark?".

"Exactly!," Xyrene exclaims. "There must be more."

"Mason, didn't you find another article with the same red mark?," Rafael asks.

Mason replies, "Oh, yes! I did!"

They continue searching for other papers with the marks. When it was just in time for sunlight to set in, they gathered all those inked with red.

"We have to get out of here. It's almost time for the others to come in," Mason worriedly says. "Xyrene, take note of the numbers and take a picture of the articles. For sure, there's something there."

Xyrene immediately follows Mason's orders and dives her hand into her pocket. She holds the phone horizontally and taps on the screen several times as Rafael places each paper on top of the other one at a time.

"Xyrene, Rafael, let's meet-up again tonight but at my house this time. We can't afford to stay here another consecutive night," Mason says with the firmness and determination in his voice.

The three of them hurriedly pack up their belongings and rush out of the office. They all go their separate ways, ready to start another day.

Night falls again, the trio's mission continues.

"Do you have the pictures with you?," Mason asks Xyrene as they start to settle in his home. "Yup!," she replies.

Mason pulls out a big whiteboard on wheels with a bulletin board at the back. He then grabs a box of thumbtacks, several stacks of sticky notes, numerous pens, and a roll of thread. "Okay, so what do we have again?"