Chapter 5: Number Problems

Several cups of coffee later, the points on the board remain disconnected. They couldn't figure out what the encircled numbers mean and their possible arrangement.

"Have we checked the dates they were published?," Xyrene lets out a sigh.

"Have we?," Rafael responds. He stands up in front of the board with hands on his hips. "I don't think we did yet."

Xyrene grabs a stack of sticky notes and asks Rafael to dictate the headlines and publishing dates of the articles.

"COMELEC finalizes Presidential candidates for 2022 elections, December 20, 2021," Rafael reads. "What are the encircled numbers?," Xyrene questions. "20." She carefully scribbles the dates and numbers onto the piece of paper.

"Ben&Ben nominated for 8 awards in 2039 SMAs, November 27, 2039, 8"

"Senator Mercado's 18 year-old son dies of COVID-19, January 13, 2022, 18 and 21"

As Rafael continues to read, Mason cuts him off. "Oh by the way, I found this piece of paper that must have fallen off from one of the newspapers. It says 'I'll be back after 20 years and reveal everything.'. The 20 is encircled with the same mark and it's dated September 15, 2028."

After writing it all down, Xyrene stands and walks to the board as she arranges them by order. "20, 18, 21, 20, 8, why do these look familiar?," Mason subconsciously whispers the numbers under his breath. He stares at the floor and a light bulb flickers in his head. "Rafael, Xyrene, I think we need to go to an internet cafe. What time is it?," the words rush out of his mouth.

Rafael replies and follows with a question, "11:39PM. Why?". "Basta. Let's go and bring the numbers with you."

"Kuya, 1 computer po," Mason tells the shopkeeper, places a P50 coin, and navigates to the innermost computers. Xyrene and Rafael follow him. He sits down and reaches out his hand towards Xyrene. She then hands him over the journal with the numbers.

The two young adults stare in amazement as Mason's fingers hit each key on the keyboard. Mason hits the final 'enter' key and covers his hand onto his mouth. Xyrene and Rafael lean in closer. They both have many words to say but decide to keep quiet.

"There you have it. I'm afraid I can't go any further," Mason says and stands up.