littleoftuna

This is by littleoftuna on AO3

575 BC

Their first years, or rather centuries, were filled with traveling the Earth. The Deviants were all over the place, and they had to defeat them all down. All for the sake of humanity, their mission.

The routine would always be the same; the five of them, Ikaris, Kingo, Thena, Gilgamesh, and Makkari, would exit Domo first, usually followed by Ajak and Druig. The five of them, with their abilities that rely more on their physical body, would take down Deviants directly, Ajak standing by to help any of them if they were hurt in the process. And Druig would mind-control humans, if there were any, to leave the battlefield. Phastos, Sersi, and Sprite were the ones who helped humanity grow with their intelligence, creations, and imaginations.

Makkari still remembers her and Druig's first conversation on the ship. He loved to tease her since then Not that she complained or minded about it. She thought the others were into their own things, or even if they were distracted, it was Ikaris and Sersi that were being looked at, not them. Well, more like Ikaris' attraction to Sersi since he still didn't have the courage to actually talk to her.

Today was rough, with too many Deviants in one place and humans as well. She tried to save as many as she could, but she still noticed the ones she didn't manage to save. "It's okay, you and the others did your best. As you always do." Ajak told her, a little pat on the shoulders.

Somehow, it still affected her. She didn't know why. Humans are supposed to die at the end, unlike them. Arishem's command was clear, they were here to protect humanity, to help them thrive on Earth. She shouldn't have an attachment to them, for it was a no-go because of that exact reason.

"Do you have something in your mind, M'lady?" Druig asked her, both talking and signing. She noticed it a few times before, but from her view, Druig always seemed to whisper his words when talking to her.

I was thinking about the humans that I didn't save earlier. She stared at his eyes, attentive to his reaction. Eyes could tell a lot of things, she believed that.

She assumed that he was also concerned about it. I'm sorry, he signed for her.

What for? She frowned at the sudden apology.

"I want to help but I don't know how." He shrugged his shoulders. "Unless," he let his words stop without continuation before signaling her to follow him.

So she did, passing through the buzz of people. She was supposed to be the one who is fast and could find anyone within seconds, but she almost lost him around the people. "May I?" Druig suddenly appeared back in front of her. She noticed that he held out one of his hands after signing to her, offering. She took it.

He guided her, with her hands in his grasp, until they arrived in what she assumed was an abandoned house, reason unknown to her. Druig allowed Makkari to come in first and trailed her behind.

She was welcomed by the most elegant room she ever walked in, which was surprising in this civilization. The walls were sophisticated and glistening. The objects fill the room as enticing as one could ever be. Beautiful, she signed to him with a smile.

"Anything for you. I should go then." Druig bowed to her and left the room without a word, leaving her with a breeze of that strange hollowness in her mind. She admired around the room again until her gaze set on one of the intricate details. It was a writing on closer investigation. Beautiful, the same word repeated in her mind. She wanted to bring that writing and read it anywhere she could.