notquitegucci

yes this means i am back on ao3.

yay!

this is the link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/35135293

this is the wondeful author: notquitegucci (AllieKitaguchi)

this is their link on wattpad:https://www.wattpad.com/user/AllieKitaguchi

 They had all realized it separately. If you were to ask them when they first noticed that things between Druig and Makkari weren't strictly platonic, every one of them would give you a different answer. There wasn't a single moment that shifted the course of their relationship—no, it was the smaller things, the moments in between. That was how it happened.

Ajak, unsurprisingly, had been the first to notice the differences.

It hadn't taken long at all. Only a few months after they had landed on Earth. She had seen it firsthand, catching the fleeting glimpses of something more when no one else seemed to be looking. But, then again, no one ever seemed to be looking. Not when it mattered. Or at least, that's what Ajak would tell Ikaris, many years later.

They were all too self-absorbed, too mission-driven, to notice each other. No one paid any mind to Sprite's growing anxieties, her self-hatred. No one saw the way Phastos would wince every time one of his machines was used to kill. No one saw the way Thena started to slip away from them, piece by piece, as the Mahd Wy'ry slowly consumed her.

They didn't hold it against each other. After all, it would've been redundant—each of them was as guilty as the last. Perhaps that was why it took so long for the group as a whole to realize that, at some point during their long and arduous tenure on Earth, little Makkari, the speedster with the beaming smile, had managed to capture Druig's heart.

And if you asked Ajak, it had started small, all those millennia ago.

7000 YEARS AGO

The village had been modest, quaint in the way that most villages were. The rest of them had been spread out across the town, helping in whatever ways they could. Sprite had taken to corralling the smallest of the children down near the sea, keeping them happy and distracted with her detailed stories and glittering displays.

Phastos had been sequestered by the village elders, holed up in a hut on the outskirts of town. Ikaris and Sersi had disappeared into the grasslands nearby, no doubt investigating the farming and agricultural lifestyle of the people. Kingo wandered wherever he wished, but usually wound up listening in on Sprite's tales.

Gilgamesh and Thena took to patrolling the perimeters, keeping their eyes peeled for the Deviants that would no doubt show up eventually. As for Ajak, she wandered wherever her feet took her. Usually it was to the market, where she would walk up and down the row of huts and stands, sampling the food and feeling the cloth the townspeople held out to her.

It was there that she saw them, Makkari and Druig, leaning over a craftsman's stand.

Well, to be frank, Makkari peered over the stand while Druig brooded next to her, resting precariously against the side of the stall, eyes scanning the street. Something in his face screamed that he was disinterested, not paying attention at all to what Makkari was doing, but his body language spoke otherwise.

He was titled towards her, Ajak remembered, body naturally gravitating to hers like a moth to a flame. Though his arms were crossed over his chest, his ear was angled towards the hut owner, listening. And when Makkari lifted a necklace—made with stones and shells from the beach—his eyes snapped to her instantly.