The beginning

Carmen

The words still rang through my head. "I am in love with your sister." My now ex boyfriend James said to me.

I still remember how those words felt like a knife stabbing me in the back. My half sister Megan has always wanted my things. From a young age she always had to have the same toy as me or the same dress as me. It was flattering when we were younger but not as an adult. Especially when she started dating my ex-boyfriend who from what Facebook just notified me that they are engaged.

So there I sat in my Nana's kitchen in Italy staring at the Facebook post of the happy engaged couple. My ex fiance and my half sister posing perfectly under an old oak tree with fall foliage around them. They looked like they could be on the cover of an L.L. Bean catalog.

"Fuck them," I said to my computer screen. I clicked out of Facebook and shut my laptop screen down.

"What's wrong?" I heard my Nana's voice from behind me. Her thick Italian accent made some words that she said hard to understand. She really tried to speak English around me. I've only been living in Italy for about 3 years and my Italian has improved since the first year I was here. My Nana wanted to learn more English so when she traveled to America, she would be able to get around. She taught me Italian and I taught her English. It was a good trade off.

I turned to my Nana. "James and Megan are engaged."

" Porca miseria! Quello che uno stronzo!" My nana threw her hands up in the air. She was shocked and called James an asshole.

"You're right about him being an asshole.

My Nana put her arms around me. "Carmella." She said into my hair.

I turned to face her. "It's alright Nana. They deserve each other."

My Nana grabbed my face and looked deep into my eyes. "Oh tesoro, mi dispiace per quello che ti è successo. I am proud of you il mio amore. You have become an even more beautiful woman these past 3 years. You are forte!"

I felt the tears well up in my eyes. My Nana meant so much to me and for her to tell me she was proud of me for being strong meant the world.

"Ti amo nana. You and papa mean the world to me." My nana hugged me.

"Ti amo Carmella." My nana released the hug and looked at the computer.

"Open it." My grandmother comp gestured towards the computer. I turned back to the computer and opened the lid. Staring back at us was the photo again. This time looking at the photo I didn't have that sinking feeling.

"Sembra proprio la sua strega madre. Che cosa hai visto nel pazzo? He has big ears!" Nana chuckled.

"Yes Megan does look a lot like Donna. Donna is not a witch, she was at least nice to me. Nana I couldn't tell you. He wouldn't leave me alone till I went out with him, and then I guess I just fell for him. I didn't even like him at first." I found myself looking at James. "But yeah he does have some big ears."

Nana and I laughed harder.

"Cosa sta succedendo qui?" Papa asked walking into the kitchen.

"Megan and James are engaged." I replied looking towards my grandfather.

"Oh il mio amore. Are you alright?" My papa walked towards me and embraced me in a hug.

"Sta bene Le donne forti come lei possono superare qualsiasi cosa." My nana replied.

"Thanks Nana and Papa. I am fine and yes I am stronger than I was." I smiled at them both. "I'm going to take a walk before dinner."

"Ok il mio amore." My grandparents smiled at me. I felt like they were both waiting for me to break down and start crying. I wasn't going to do that in front of them. I wanted to be alone and down the path to the vineyards far away from the house before I broke down.