xvi. who is spider-man?

chapter sixteen!
who is spider-man?

    NINA DIDN'T let go even once she felt his feet touch solid ground. She clung on even tighter at the feeling, head completely buried into the nook between his neck and shoulder. She had stopped sobbing, but tears still spilled, and her throat was hoarse from her screaming. She still shook, legs wrapped around his torso tight. Nina was terrified that as soon as she let go of him, she'd fall all over againagain, and again, and again. Nina didn't know what she had seen, but it terrified her.

"Hey," said Spider-Man softly. She didn't realise how familiar his voice sounded, but she felt it; she felt how calm it was. "Hey, it's okay. You're okay."

She shook her head, gripping the fabric of his suit in her hands. Spider-Man didn't force her, he didn't tell her to get off. Instead, he just wrapped his arms back around her, rubbing her back soothingly. Nina's breath hitched, surprised, but she didn't stop him. Instead, she just slumped, her grip falling. He smelt of ash, but it was in a way comforting ... just the way he held her, letting her calm down ... Nina has never felt someone hold her in such a way yet.

She stopped shaking and she heard his voice better, "I got you," said the superhero, "you're okay."

Slowly, Nina dropped her legs. She felt the grass between her toes. Spider-Man held her arms, rubbing them as she took a deep, shuddering breath, opening her eyes and stepping back so she could see where she was. Her legs were still feeling like jelly, and there was a rip in her dress. Her feet stung, as did her cheeks, her small injuries from earlier finally showing themselves.

She couldn't find herself able to say anything, just staring at Spider-Man. He was only just taller than her, stronger, but at the same time, it felt like he was just a normal guy. Behind those unblinking lenses were caring eyes, she just knew ...

Then, his head dipped a little, and she heard a cheeky, "Don't look, I think we interrupted something ..."

Nina glanced briefly to her left, and barked out a chuckle to see a couple watching them from a nearby bench, hair messy, clothes a little straggled. Realising what she did, she gasped and quickly covered her mouth, going bright red.

"Don't mind us," Spider-Man said to them, holding up a hand, "the lady here just needed to use the elevator."

And as if they had been shot, the couple got to their feet and ran away, rushing towards the stairs back down towards St. Patrick's church. Nina couldn't hold it in any longer, she laughed through her fingers, suddenly feeling so much better. The jelly to her legs disappeared, and the beating of her heart slowed back to normal. She heard Spider-Man chuckle at her lightly. 

"You okay?" he then asked her.

Nina's laughter faded. She expected her fear to return, but now, it felt easier to take a deep breath. She nodded, "Yeah," she said, and she meant it. "Yeah, I'll be okay. Thanks to you. You saved my life."

"Anytime," said Spider-Man, and Nina had a feeling he meant it. It sounded like a promise.

"How did you know he was going to be there?" Nina then asked, her curiosity piquing.

"I didn't," said the superhero truthfully. He shrugged. "I was just in the neighbourhood."

Nina smiled at that. "Well, then I guess it's just my luck you showed up."