$*))(42**?)**)

end credits
???42&&*^
(meanwhile, somewhere in another universe...)

    THE HAND TICKED closer to break. 

    A pair of hazel eyes fixed on the clock above the teacher's head, sitting hunched up and alone at a desk amongst many other students▬fifteen-year-olds, most of whom weren't paying their social studies class any attention. They whispered to each other under their breaths, showing each other whatever might be on their phones, joked and doodled on their notebooks. Brown hair hung over in bangs the face of a young girl, fifteen like the rest of them. There was nothing really special about her. Very much like every other teenage girl her age, she was still trying to find her way in the world▬still trying to learn what colours suited her, what style she felt most comfortable in, whether she was deadset to straighten her waves or struggle to see if she could get nice curls. She hid her earphones behind her hair and the chords beneath her green jumper her mother got her from Target. Her shoes were a little scuffed and her hands were covered in doodles of swirls and flowers. Her leg bounced beneath her desk and her lips pursed, tapping her fingers along to the song playing in her ears rather than listening to what her teacher was saying. 

    She went from doodling on her fingers to drawing on the paper of her notebook underneath the title of her class▬the only set of notes she had written down. Her pencil case sitting at the front of the desk and her elbows set on either side of her notebook helped hide the designs she sketched with her blue ballpoint pen. She tilted her head and chewed the inside of her cheek, comparing one design with the next▬she scribbled out the one on her left and added some of the details she liked onto the new design on the right. She reached for her red pen and added some extra lines, shading another colour. 

     Her leg continued to bounce, itching for her to get out of there and move. The music in her ears was loud. It blocked out all the other annoying noises that blared like sirens right next to her if she didn't concentrate. 

     The young teenage girl was completely void of the world around her, it would seem. She did not hear the words her teacher spoke and the questions she asked. She didn't notice her classmates glance at her. She did not hear their soft whispers, and some chuckles when the young girl did not respond at all. 

     Until the teacher's footsteps got closer, and it was as if this girl was suddenly alive and alert, her hand flipped the page of her notebook, hiding all of her designs from view. 

     "Miss Parker."

     The teenage girl subtly slipped one earbud out of her ears and glanced up at her social studies teacher frowning at her by her desk. "Hmm?" replied the young girl, turning her music down. "Yes, Mrs. Jones?"

      Mrs. Jones was not impressed by the slight exasperation in the teenage girls' tone. "I asked you a question," said her teacher simply, crossing her arms over her blouse. "What was your interpretation of last week's homework?"

     Homework? The teenager thought back to last week, trying to remember her social studies homework. In her defence, she was often way too busy to even consider half of her high school homework. And last week ... What happened last week? So many things. It is usually day by day. "Uh ... I didn't get to that question, Mrs. Jones. I had other commitments all last week."

    Mrs. Jones stared her down, knowing this teenager was an ongoing offender of never completing her homework. "Other commitments? Every day after school, Miss Parker?"

    "Sometimes during school," answered the teenager smartly, even though it was true. 

    "And if I were to call your parents, would they give me the same answer?"