lxxi. you're losing me

chapter seventy-one
you're losing me

    "GOBLIN!" 

    His voice tore through his throat▬and it scared him at how different it sounded, as if it were someone else yelling after the Green Goblin whose laughter turned Peter Parker's blood into a boiling fury. He struggled to push himself up onto his feet, his ribs burning with pain. He heard Nina's scream. It surged through his veins and his limbs▬only for his spider-sense to spark and he dodged just in time as Dr. Octavius's metal arms flew overhead, desperately trying to grab after the Goblin's glider. 

    The metal talons latched onto the edge and the glider whirred and wheezed with steam as it fought the grip of Doc Ock. Peter One stumbled to the edge of the statue. "Nina, hold on!" he shouted up at her. He saw her terrified stare, glancing down and meeting his gaze. He thought of the dreams she told him about▬how each and every one of them ended; most by the hands of her very own nightmare. 

     Peter Parker had to save her. 

     He gritted his teeth and pressed his hand down onto the edge of the statue until it cracked under his fingertips. He felt his limbs buzz▬his bones vibrating with the strength he was forcing down. Peter One went to jump with Doc Ock keeping the Goblin still▬

     But Dr. Strange had other ideas. 

     "Strange, wait▬!" shouted Peter One, but it was too late. His jump was thrown off balance and he was thrown backwards into the tarps. He threw them off and watched as a bright, orange rope materialised from the sorcerer's hands. He flung it forward, and the edges looped around the artefact and pulled it free from the Green Goblin's hands. 

     But Strange did not even try to save Nina Hart. 

     "No!" there were a few shouts, all of them mingling together▬and it seemed like every Peter Parker was crying out for Nina Hart. Peter One stumbled free from the tarps just as the Goblin spun his glider and sliced Doc Ock's metal arm in half. He cackled as the jets of his glider burst and he shot up into the night sky, still with Nina screaming in his arms. 

     "NO▬!" Peter One didn't even think. He pushed his legs to a sprint. He felt his spider-sense swarm his ears like an angry hive of bees about something behind him. The Green Goblin had let go of that artefact too easily. But he didn't care. "NINA!"

     He leapt off the side of the statue with enough strength to send some of the scaffold crumbling. Spider-Man was boosted up into the sky and he flung his hand out. His webs flew after the Green Goblin, but they fell just short. "GOBLIN!" he shouted with fury, attatching a web around the Lady Liberty's arm and pushing up even higher. "PUT HER DOWN!"

     "PETER▬!" Nina's cry was lost in the wind. 

     His webs grabbed for the glider again. Norman Osborn's laughter was just an echo as he dodged with high speed. Spider-Man wasn't going to give up. He couldn't give up. Just as he thought the Goblin would evade him, he pressed his fingers on the trigger of his web shooters, and splitter webs jetted outwards. One of them struck the bottom of the Goblin's glider and Peter One was pulled across the skyline with a yell. 

     Just as he was pulled away from the Statue of Liberty, a ferocious explosion lit up the sky. Spider-Man glanced backwards and his eyes widened. The wind tunnelled him, the Green Goblin and Nina all forward. Behind them, the entire island and the construction shook. Waves billowed away from the shore. Blinding light exploded away from the top of the statue; spinning rings of bright, orange runes▬the spell.