𝑝𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑎 𝑐𝑙𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝑏𝑙𝑢𝑒 𝑠𝑘𝑦

.

━━♥♠♣♦━━

.

AS THE SKIES TURNED from fuscia pink to a mulberry in tone, you sat on your back with arms behind your head, watching the undertones of the violet penumbra outline the bright peach clouds. It's always a pleasure to watch dusk fall over the school grounds which was the case why you often invite your friends over to watch them with you. Most times they decline –Akane having to walk his friend, Aoi to her house and Teru having to get back as soon as possible for his waiting siblings— and that'd be fine with you. Because there's something special— something intimate about having to watch the sun dip and send an array of blended colors you never knew got along well, and it'd all be on display for your eyes only. It made you feel special.

But there are also times –though they don't come by as often— when one of them have time to waste around lazing on the grass and silently staring at a canvas of a sky, waiting for the colors to appear for a brief moment until the cusp of dusk dawns near making way for twilight to set in.

Today was one of those rare times when you're accompanied by someone. It was unexpected, Teru had asked if he could watch the dusk fall with you and you obliged, and now here you were.

"What's you favorite memory?" asked Teru, his voice below a murmur but the school, now without the usual buzz of life and gossip, was so quiet that even a whisper could be overheard from a far corner of the field.

Usually, you abstained from small talk but this doesn't seem to be the case. "I think..."

You took your time to ponder upon the question, eyes staring over the large, vast sky feeling as though you could conquer the world within the span of a whole warm evening.

"I think my favorite memory-" You looked at him, his gaze softened on you while his curved smile never wavered against your amicable gaze. "-was when I found a shooting star in an empty night sky."

Honeyed drops of the last glittering sunlight poured down from the eventide, across the yawning gaps of the sharp corners of the school building and past the thick foliage of silver maples. You sat up, hugged your legs across your chest and rest your chin just above your knees.

"You did?" he asked, and you replied.

"Yes, I did."

He brought his face closer to his palms, intrigued by your story —you humoured yourself—.

"What did you wish for?"

"Honestly, I didn't get to. The star was gone in a blink of an eye. It was surreal, magical even. –made me think for a moment that fairytales do exist, and that a happily ever after was waiting for me somewhere over the rainbow." You chuckled bitterly through your teeth.