The Beginning

[Warning!]

[Self-harm]

[Cussing]

[Kidnapping, abuse, etc.]

All I really remember are police sirens.

Red and blue lights that flickered around the abandoned building in the woods.

I sat in the police car with a blanket around me and people treating my wounds.

"Thank God we found you," the policeman comforted me. "You were missing for three years."

I looked up. "Missing?"

"Oh dear," a nurse said. "She doesn't remember."

The policeman patted my head. "Don't worry, those bad people won't be able to do anything to you anymore."

"Do you remember your name?"

I looked down. "Name... Do I have a name?"

The nurse put her hands over her face. "Poor child, she's only eight."

The policeman gave me a piece of candy. "Well if you don't remember it's okay! Your name is [y/n] [l/n]. A distant relative will take care of you from now on."

"[y/n]..." I repeated, holding the candy.

-

Six years later...

-

"You bitch!"

I turned my head to the disgusting view of my older cousin. He had thrown one of the alcohol bottles that was scattered on the floor to my head.

"Where are you going?"

"School," I muttered, opening the door.

"Females don't need education," he spat. "They need to learn how to cook and stay home."

This was my life now. [y/n] [l/n], an unwanted child from birth who was kidnapped and abused at four years old until she was found and sent to live with a distant relative. Her parents were drowning with debt and ended up doing a double suicide together. But her relatives weren't any better either. She was sexually abused by her guardian and was tossed around until her older cousin decided to take her in only to treat her as a maid.

I ignored him and walked out.

I put in my earbuds and walked to my school. 

School wasn't exactly better either. Nobody wanted to be friends with me because I was somewhat of an outcast. Ever since I beat up that school bully by throwing a table at her, everybody avoided me. I was great at school and often got praised for my high grades, but there wasn't a future for me. I couldn't afford college and I already had a mountain of debt my parents left behind.

Maybe I should just commit suicide, I thought, walking into my homeroom.

Everybody looked at me as if I was a whole another species. I sat in my seat, ignoring the intense stares, and pulled out my notebook. Inside, there was the money I hid from my older cousin. I wondered how long it would be until I would be able to escape to a new country with a new identity.

I pulled my sleeve down to reveal marks of scars over my wrists. They were a ugly red color, but they were the only ones keeping me alive.

-

After school, I found myself wandering to the nearby lake. 

"Hidden Snow Fox," I muttered to myself.

In seconds, nine white tails appeared. My eyes focused on some of the rocks. It hovered and splashed into the lake, skipping a few rounds before sinking. I squatted down and looked into the water.

Maybe I should actually do it. 

I touched the water with my fingers.

"Are you trying to kill yourself?"

I looked up.

A man in his thirties or forties was standing a couple feet away from me. I stared back into the water.

"Trying to decide," I mumbled, swishing my hand back and forth in the water.

"Not so long ago, I saved someone from commiting suicide."

"Oh really?" I said, bored.

"Do you have a special ability?"

Special abilities? People usually feared people with abilities thanks to the Port Mafia and other organizations. Who was this person? Is he trying to convince me to join a cult or something?

"Why do you ask? Didn't you see me use my ability a few minutes ago?"

"If you do, your abilities could be put in great use here. So, I'll ask the question again. Do you have a special abili-"

"I do," I admitted. "So what? Am I going to entertain someone? Are you one those people who recruit young, high school girls as strip-"

"Are you comfortable with killing people?"

My eyes widened. I turned to him and stood up. "Why would you ask me that?"

"You don't have anywhere to return to, do you?"

I thought about my life right now. The smell of cigarettes and alcohol bottles.

"Not really," I grumbled.

"Then why don't you join the Port Mafia? You'll get paid well, and have a place to stay."

The offer sounded very convincing. Afterall, I didn't exactly have any good reason to live anymore.

"I-I'm-"

"Abilities are very valuable. There's no shame in putting them in use."

"But killing people-"

"It's getting dark, you'll have to decide quickly. Oh! I haven't introduced myself have I? I'm Ogai Mori."

"I'm [y/n] [l/n]."

"You've decided, haven't you?"

I looked at the water, blankly. 

"Yes."