4. Falling

Jennie pulled into the parking lot of Chaeyoung's dance studio. There were several cars, it was a class day after all and Jennie managed to squeeze into the spot reserved only for the instructors. Chaeyoung looked out the window at the small brick building that she shared with a bead shop and comic book store. The blinds were drawn over the large glass windows.

"This is where you work." Jennie said as they stepped out of the car. Chaeyoung looked at the building in wonder.

"Um... which one?" She asked, pointing to the signs for all three.

"Oh, um, you're a dancer. You teach dance here." Jennie replied. Chaeyoung frowned a little.

"Oh. I was hoping I got to play with beads." She joked and winked at Jennie. That alone made the brunette's knees buckle a little and she put her hand on the hood of her car to steady herself.

"Um, why don't we go inside?" She asked. She looked down at Chaeyoung's hand, limp by her side and she wanted to take it, she wanted to hold it so that she could transfer maybe a little bit of comfort to her. Instead, Chaeyoung closed her eyes and Jennie watched as she mentally prepared herself for whatever she may find inside the dance studio.

Hopefully it was her memories.

Chaeyoung went first, opening the door where hiphop music was playing a a decent volume, enough for the door to vibrate when she touched it. She walked in and around the corner and looked. There were about seven people rehearsing a number and Jennie stood by her. Chaeyoung watched them intently, studying the way they moved, thinking "did I do that at one point?" And Jennie did the same to Chaeyoung, observing the way the lines on her face knitted together in concentration. When the music stopped the men and women high-fived each other for a job well done. One of them, a tall muscular man with slicked back brown hair and five-o-clock shadow caught a glimpse of them. In an instant, his expression turned from pride to shock. He stood there for a good few seconds before running over to Chaeyoung at high speed and enveloping her in a hug so big he lifted her off the ground and spun her. Jennie saw the slight look of surprise and panic on Chaeyoung's face. She bristled and jumped in between them.

"Get away." She hissed. The man frowned, almost snarled at her.

"What's your problem?" He demanded. "First time I've seen Chaeyoung since you told me she disappeared! I'm entitled to hug my dance partner!" Jennie felt a sickening wave of rage bubble up inside her.

"Yeah, well why don't you get the facts before you scare her." She hissed. The man looked angry and confused, back and forth from the blondee to the brunette.

"What's she talking about, Chae?" He asked.

"Um... I lost my memory." She replied sheepishly, looking down at her feet. The man stood in stunned silence.

"You... you what?"

"Are you deaf?" Jennie sneered. "She lost her memory, ok? She doesn't remember anything before the accident." The man leaned against the wall for support.

"Wait... explain..." He said, shaking his head, signaling incomprehension. Jennie rolled her eyes. The last thing she wanted to do was explain the situation to him. But Chaeyoung did so.

"I was in a car accident." She parroted, remembering what Jisoo, the doctor and the nurses told her. "And I guess I must've hit my head too hard... or been underwater for too long, or something. Anyway, I don't really remember anything before the accident. So... I don't remember who you are." The last part Chaeyoung said rather apologetically. The man ran his hands down his face and sighed. He looked at her, a little too intensely for Jennie's liking, and nodded.