12. Come What May

Chaeyoung looked at herself in the mirror. She looked absolutely divine. Her dress was tailor made, her gloves were trimmed with beautiful lace. Her lips were a light shade of red. She was surprised at how quickly time passed. Just a few years ago she was rooming with Jennie. Now she was getting married. The door opened and her father stepped inside.

"Hey baby face." He said. "You ready?" Chaeyoung turned around, the veil covering her face. Her lips, lined with a faint hint of red, parted in a nervous smile.

"I'm a little scared, dad." She admitted.

"I know you are. But you're happy aren't you?" He asked. Chaeyoung thought of dark skin, dark hair and a smile that could light up a city. The thought alone renewed her bravery. She held her hand out to her father.

"I'm so happy, daddy." Together they walked out of the room.

It was a sunny, clear day, perfect for a wedding. Over 100 people sat in white, fold out chairs. The tent above them kept the sun out of their eyes. The glee members in the front sat solemnly. They knew what it meant for Chaeyoung to get married. Everything was picturesque but a dark cloud loomed over the front row.

"I bet she looks beautiful." Lisa offered but everyone shushed her, casting a worried glance over their shoulders. Lisa huffed. "I'm just saying... and I'm not the one who designed her dress." She looked over at Jungkook who put up his hands slightly.

"You try telling Chaeyoung no, then we'll talk." He replied curtly.

Taehyung raised his camera to take pictures of everything but Lisa forced his arm back down and shook her head angrily. He shrugged his shoulders sadly and put the camera away.

"I can't believe this." Irene snapped. "Seriously, we should all march up there and kick his ass." Just as she said it, the music swelled and everyone swung their heads.

Chaeyoung and her father faced ahead. They walked steadily, letting the flower girl spread the petals at her own pace. Given that she was only seven, she awkwardly scattered the petals on the ground and Chaeyoung felt the need to hurry up. But she held onto her father's arm to pace herself as she advanced on the altar. It was her future, after all, and there was no need to rush that. As they reached the end of the aisle, her father glanced at her one last time and handed her off. Chaeyoung stared into dark brown eyes.

In the crowd, Jennie Kim watched. Jisoo put a hand on her leg and she squeezed it, knowing it would do nothing to ease the pain. Jennie's eyes glimmered with tears.

"Let's leave." Jisoo suggested. Jennie shook her head.

"No." She insisted. "It's the middle of their wedding. It'd be..." Her voice cracked and she had to take a moment to compose herself and her words. "Disrespectful." Jisoo's eyes flared with rage.

"What's disrespectful is that slime bag! He took advantage of Chaeyoung! He stole her from you!" Jisoo hissed. Jennie merely watched in silence, her hands folded tightly in her lap.

"Does anyone have any objections as to why these two should not get married?" The entire front row turned to face Jennie who looked forward.

"Say something!" Jisoo all but yelled.

"She's happy, Jisoo, she's happy." Jennie replied hollowly. Jisoo wanted to punch her, or rush up and punch Jaehyun, or both.

"If there are no objections, do you, Roseanne Park, take this man as your lawful wedded husband until death do you part?" The priest asked. Chaeyoung grinned.

"I do." She said. Jisoo closed her eyes and lowered her head.

"You may now kiss the bride." Chaeyoung and Jaehyun leaned in and kissed each other deeply. It would've broken Jennie's heart, but that had been broken years ago. Yet despite all of that, she wore the ring one day, hoping that maybe, just maybe putting it back on would magically bring the two back together. As the crowd cheered, the newly wedded couple turned to face them. Jennie touched the ring on her left hand. She had planned to throw it away that night but when she saw it, with the initials carved into the metal, she couldn't bring herself to throw it away. Chaeyoung laughed and looked around. Her eyes scanned the crowd, filled with people she loved and people she'd never seen before. She caught the eyes of Jennie Kim and her smile vanished completely. They held their gaze, with Jennie staring emptily at the new bride. Jaehyun pulled Chaeyoung in for another kiss but Chaeyoung did not break eye contact.