ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔗𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔬𝔫𝔢

𝔎𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔞𝔫𝔞'𝔰 𝔭𝔬𝔳

𝔎𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔞𝔫𝔞'𝔰 𝔭𝔬𝔳

"What are you doing?" a sudden voice asks. Whirling around, I go for the dagger strapped to my thigh but freeze when I see that it is only Rhysand. "You should know not to sneak up on me like that," I tell him, releasing the breath I was holding. A singular laugh escapes his lips. "I didn't sneak up. Didn't you hear me knock?" Swallowing, I glance at the door. I give him a small shake of my head before turning back to my cauldron. I stir my potion until it turns a deep brown. "What are you making?" Rhysand asks from right behind me. The sudden loudness of his voice startles me, and I flinch slightly. "Why are you so jumpy?" he asks, and I sigh internally at him noticing my slight flinch. I pretend I didn't hear him and continue stirring my potion until it turns to a golden color. Turning the heat off, I let the potion sit in the cauldron. I'll have to bottle that in ten minutes. I turn slightly and try to walk over to my bed, where I hope I can lay down, but Rhysand grabs my shoulders, stopping me. "What's going on?"

I sigh. "Nothing. I'm just tired."

He glances at the cauldron behind me. "And a memory potion is going to help with that?" he asks, his brows raised as if he just caught me in a lie. I swallow, and he notices it with a narrowing of his eyes. "Tell me what's going on, Kritana," he requests. I stay quiet, and this causes his eyebrows to furrow. "Is it Tom?"

"No," I say quickly.

"Then what is it?"

"Nothing that you need to worry about, Rhysand. Can you just trust that if you needed to know, I would tell you?" I ask, looking up at him. I'm lying through my teeth and using his feelings for me to manipulate him, but I have to. I won't risk him getting hurt by me. Besides, what he doesn't know can't hurt him.

He looks at me for a moment, his blue eyes darting between my two green ones before nodding. "Just promise me that you will tell me if something is wrong, okay?" I nod and give him a tight-lipped smile. I will tell him because I don't break my word, but I won't tell him until the problem is over.