High Fashion- 40

"What's wrong with my clothes?" Tris protests as you drag her away, up the Pit.

"They're ugly and gigantic," Christina points out.

"You need something that fits you well," you agree, and Christina nods vehemently.

"Preach it, sister," she says, smacking your arm, and you laugh.

Ten minutes later you have Tris standing in front of the mirror, wearing a knee-length black dress.

"I mean... it's better than the last one," Tris manages, shaking out her hair as you undo the braid.

"There," you say. "I like your hair loose!"

Christina whips out some eyeliner, and you shiver, remembering how expensive and rare makeup was back in factionless. Eyeliner.

"You aren't going to be able to make me pretty, you know," Tris says, closing her eyes.

"You're already pretty," you say at the same time Christina says, "Who cares about pretty? I'm going for noticeable."

Tris's eyes open and go wide, her fingers drifting over her reflection in the mirror.

"See? You're striking," Christina says proudly, then turns to you with a squeal. "Your turn!"

"What?" you say, but then she's rushing back off into the shop. She reappears with a black, off-the-shoulders top, some leggings, and a pair of gold earrings.

"You're not as squeamish as Tris, right?" she says, dumping them in your hands. "Try this."

She and Tris back out of the changing room, and you slip off your training outfit and put on your new one.

"Ooh," you say, slowly spinning in front of the mirror after you let your friends back in.

"It suits you," Tris says, nodding to you.

Christina whips out her pencil, and you close your eyes obligingly, whipping them open as soon as she's done. You gasp, face splitting into a wide grin.

"This is gorgeous," you tell her, gripping her arms, and then hugging Tris. "Thank you!"

Christina waves you off, but her smile says everything. She wears a new outfit, too- a tight black dress with a lacy top and sleeves, and tall, black boots. You can tell she's the fashionista in the room.

"Who's ready to watch Al get tattooed?" Tris says, grinning.

"Me!" I say, high-fiving her. You all race down the narrow paths up along the Pit, and when you get to the tattoo parlor, Al is already sitting in the chair. A small man covered in tattoos is drawing a spider on his arm.

"You look good," he says, looking up and beaming a smile at you. "You too, Tris!"

"Spin," Will says, dropping the tattoo gun he'd been looking at and racing over to you.

You spin for him, and you notice him watching Christina's twirl. You hide your smile as they run over together, flipping through books of pictures, trying to find the perfect tattoo and elbowing each other when they find ones they like.

You walk with Tris, wandering around the room. It's decorated. The air feels close and warm, and the walls are covered with drawings and spray-painted art.

You skim the wall with your fingertips, brushing against the rough surfaces. There's a sketch of a bird in flight on the wall, and Tris seems drawn to it, walking closer, almost in a trance.

"It's a raven," a woman says. "Pretty, right? Want a tattoo?"

Tris nods quickly, pointing to the ravens and then to her collarbone. "Yes. Three of these flying birds."

"How about for you?" The woman says, nodding. "I'm Tori, by the way."

1+ Tris

1+ Christina

If you get a compass to guide you, go to 41.

If you get a Dauntless symbol to symbolize your rebirth as a faction member, go to 42.

If you don't get a tattoo and instead talk to everyone else about theirs, go to 43.