Chapter 10: There's Light in the Darkness

Cale tapped his finger on the table. They're currently still in the Henituse territory.

'While I am here, should I go to Harris Village and show Choi Han way out of the forest of darkness?"

Forest of Darkness is one of the Five Forbidden Region of the Western Continent. According to the book that he read when he is Kim Rok Soo. Choi Han is someone that lived at Forest of Darkness for 10 years before he manage to found a way out. But then the village that finally shows him home obliterate by some organizations when he is out in the mountain. But many things have changed. The place where he lives right now is a different place from the book. The book is not his future anymore.

'Even if the main story has changed, but I am sure that the main event still will flow.'

Tuk. Tuk. The sound of Cale tapped his finger on the table gains the kitten's attention.

"Meow"

"Meoww-"

Cale looked at them. Cale knows who is the identity of these two kittens. There is a rumor in the underworld that the cat clan loses their prisoner. Cale hunch says that the two kittens in front of him are the prisoner he heard about.

"What do you two want to do from now on?"

"Meow?"

"I know you two can speak human language."

The two kittens eyes trembled.

"...How do you know about us nya?" The silver cats ask Cale warily and hide the red kitten behind her back.

"Wind always brought a lot of information. A prisoner of a cat clan. Runaway 1 week ago. And let me guess, both of you try to hide in Henituse Territory."

"..."

"I don't care what you do from now on. But don't say anything that you ever saw me in this territory."

On and Hong have a hunch that if they travel together with Cale is safer than hide in this territory.

"Then let us tag along nya."

"What?"

"You also runaway didn't you? and the fight earlier, you are someone who is using a shadow as your fighting style right?"

"We can help nya. Our power is perfect for fighting in shadow!" The red kitten chimed in.

"...Ha, do whatever you guys like. Just remember to be careful when saying my name in public. What's your name?"

"I am On. Don't worry we will be careful!" Said the silver kitten.

"I am Hong nya." Said the red kitten.

"How old are both of you?"

"I am 7-years-old and Hong is 5-years-old."

"I see... I am Cale Henituse. What makes you guys become prisoners then?"

On and Hong's life feels like hell until today. The day they meet Cale is the turning point in their life. In the future, they will not regret running away from the clan and sneak into Henituse territory. For them, the decision to run away is the best decision they ever make.

"One day our parents die leaving us. We are supposed to be a successor of a Fog Cat Tribe at one point. But then somehow we are mutated. The elders that learn about this began locking us. They believe we are weak and don't have any abilities. They said they don't want to waste food to a useless being like us."

"Then 1 week ago, we heard that they will finally eliminate us. We know that they will do it sooner or later. Naturally after hearing that, we runaway."

"...What a damn bastard. Look like I need to pay them a visit huh."

'What is this feeling nya... So weird'

On looking at Cale's vicious expression. On doesn't understand why Cale was mad even though it is not his business. But On feels weird in her chest. On doesn't know the weird feeling she feels is a warmness that soon she will learn about.

Cale knows what it feels like to be abused and starved. After all, both of his life is being messed up by an adult. Adult that is supposed to protect children turn out to be abusing and neglected them. That's why Cale hated it and have a soft spot for the children who are facing the same situation.

Soon Beacrox comes in and serves the three of them foods. On and Hong's eyes sparkle looking at the delicious steak in front of them. They look at Cale asking permission to eat the food. Cale understands seeing their gaze. Their gaze is similar to Kim Rok Soo's gaze when he still living in the orphanage.

Little Kim Rok Soo has never had a full meal. Even one slice of bread is bliss. But little him know that everything has a price. Eat without permission will lead to heavy punishment. He learned that the hard way. Seeing On and Hong's gaze reminds Cale of his other life.

"Just eat. You don't need permission for that."

The kittens quickly devour the meat leaving a lot of sauce in their mouth. Cale chuckles seeing the little kids in front of him. Cale takes the napkin and cleans their mouth. The three of them don't say anything but Beacrox can see that they enjoy each other company.

"Ron, after they were done eating let's go to Harris Village."

"Very well young master. I will prepare our departure."

The five of them arrived at Harris Village that evening and sneak into the Forest of Darkness. Before they come here, Cale already briefs them enough about the plan. First, they will roam around in a safer area according to Choi Han's map that he remembers from the book. If there is no other existence besides the monster then they will go deeper into the forest. Cale learns that On ability is to create a fog and Hong creates a poison. Both of the abilities are pretty useful in their situation. Also, these will be good opportunities for Hong to grow stronger since Forest of Darkness fills with a lot type of poisonous plans.

They slipped into the stone gates easily. The stone gates are the only access to cross into the Forest of Darkness. Of course, there are other ways, such as jump over the 10-m tall wall. All of them including Cale who have been trained by Ron are capable to jump over the wall. But then Cale is a lazy person. His motto is to do everything efficiently but waste the energy as minimum as possible.

'Why would I jump when I can easily slip in through the ground.'

What they saw after crossing the gates is pretty ordinary. It looks like a regular forest, no one knows the reason but it is forbidden because all the plans in this forest somehow mutated, and there are a lot of monsters too. It was easy to tell the mutated monsters apart but it was difficult for plants. Although they look similar, a mutated version of an herb used for healing could end up being poisonous.

Cale let go of Hong from his arm. Let him roam around and taste some of the plans. Currently, they are in the center of the safer area. Some monster trying to attack them, but it is still a pretty weak monster. Ron and Beacrox manage to kill all the monsters that attack them in the blink of an eye. They all can't feel any other human life force. That's why Cale decides to go deeper into the forest.

'Tck. Where the hell are you.'

On the outside, Cale looks calm and collected like he is just walking around in a garden. But on the inside, he is pretty anxious. After all, the deeper Cale and the group is, the more dangerous for them. But then like a fate Cale feels someone eying him from the back. In the corner of Cale eyes, he saw someone hiding his presence in between trees and bushes.

'Finally. I found you.' grin Cale.

"Oi. Stop hiding and come out."

The five of them can see someone come out from the shadow and approaching them. Cale can see the eyes of the man that are full of emotions. Relieve and glad, but still warily looking at them.