12. robbers

they're driving past my old school, and he's got his gun, he's got his suit on

she says, babe, you look so cool

you look so cool, you look so cool

-

It was not until the night of the yule ball, when Imogen was standing in the Slytherin common room, smoothing down the skirt of her long dress, that she realised the fatal flaw in her genius scheme. In order to cause Fred to experience devastating jealousy seeing her at the dance with Adrian, she would have to actually spend a night in Adrian's company. Which, as she was quickly remembering, she didn't really enjoy. As Mo and Victor appeared to be genuinely giddy for eachother, gushing about their plan for the night, Imogen and Adrian were sitting together a few chairs away.

On the plus side, the two girls had spent hours getting ready, and looked accordingly beautiful. Mo was wearing floaty lilac silk, which rippled around her feet and hugged her neckline, and her shiny hair was twisted up at the back of her head, loose strands floating around her face. Imogen had gone for strapless red velvet, which hugged her figure until her mid-thigh, where the material swept down to her feet. Mo had done something very Hollywood to her dark hair, which was laid flawlessly in soft waves. Victor and Adrian didn't look too shabby either, in their expensive dress robes, with pocket handkerchiefs to match their date's dresses.

"Fancy some of this?" Adrian asked, holding up a large bottle of expensive dark liquor. "It's magically aged; costs an arm and a leg, but it goes down nicely. Cognac. I got it especially."

He was looking at Imogen as if expecting her to be very impressed, but over the past few days Imogen had been hit periodically with memories of her acting a complete idiot at the lake party, and she really wasn't feeling like drinking, maybe ever, again.

"Wow, that's so kind..." Imogen started, feeling the need to soften the blow, "but maybe you should keep that one for yourself-"

"Nonsense!" Adrian declared, pulling off the stopper with a loud pop.

He summoned two glasses and poured an almost silly amount into them. Imogen accepted it with as much enthusiasm as she could muster.

Adrian flashed a smile, clinking his glass against hers, which, due to how full they were, made a splash, luckily missing her dress. "Get that down you!"

Imogen took a polite sip along with him, and the liquor was so strong the smell hurt her nose just being close enough to sip it. Adrian took a few large gulps, his eyes flitting in Imogen's direction.

"It's not too strong for you, is it?" he asked, after wiping the corners of his mouth. "I'm used to it by now, I forget some people can't drink it like that."

Imogen plastered a smile on her face. "No. No, it's fine. Thanks."

"Good woman!" He nodded his head enthusiastically and took another large sip.

Luckily it wasn't long before the time came to make their way to the great hall. Adrian asked if they should bring the cognac, but the four of them agreed it was best to save it for the after party. On the way to the hall, they chatted as a group, Victor and Adrian leading Mo and Imogen by their arms. The corridors were full of excited teenagers in ball-gowns and dress robes, and Imogen began to fully appreciate what an amazing night it was going to be.

This feeling only grew as they entered the great hall, which had been completely transformed. In place of the usual house benches were many smaller circular tables, decorated with glittering flowers which matched the hangings all around the hall. The clear night sky twinkled above them, a deep midnight blue.