Park bench pep talks

Max has been in many uncomfortable situations but this one might just take the cake. The now Fourteen year old stood in the corner staring out at the mass amount of people all seeming to be having fun except her. She found humility in that how this was supposed to be her day and yet it was everyones but hers.

 Max always figured the people didn't actually stand in the corner at party but oh boy was she wrong this made her think back to a field test she took. They sent her out to NYC to observe the Avengers when she caught a snippet of a movie playing on a display tv through the window, and somehow it stuck with her.

Shaking off the nostalgia she figures that she has had enough of whatever this was. Making a b-line for the door her only goal, getting outside, her breath quickens as she walks and her throat constricts. She had only experienced this feeling once it was as if she was experiencing everything in a dream like state. She need out and she needed out now.

The door was within her reach after shoving through the Avengers tower lobby. Her hand makes contact with the cold metal of the door handle as a hand clasped lightly over her shoulder making her jump to face the person.

"sorry didn't mean to scare you kid" A man who she recognized as Steve rogers says to her softy. 

"are you all right you look a bit faint?."He asked concern etched into his features after a long pause of Max not being able to form a coherent sentence. Steve throws her a line. 

"walk with me." it wasn't a question. as he opens the door motioning for her to walk through first. 

Max inhales a deep breath greedily inhaling a gulp of air. inhale ,exhale , inhale, exhale. she could feel the undeniable grip of panic loosen its grasp.

Steve stands there looking out at the busy street giving Max the moments he can see she needs. he felt for the child her father pretty close to absent, living in a boarding school, her mother having passed. He would say he saw himself in her but he didn't he didn't see an ounce of him in there. She was Tony she was just like him but maybe thats not as bad a thing as he once thought.

"come on." Steve motions for her to walk with him as they walked through the down town New York 

"I don't like party's either." Steve breaks the silence 

"it not that I don't like party's." like father like daughter. "I just don't like this one." she replies

"and why is that ?" Steve questions 

"its not much of a birthday if it wouldn't matter if I left."She replies quickening her strides to keep up with the super soldier. 

"I'm sure it would matter if you weren't there, its your party after all." Steve spoke. Scoffing Max remarked 

"Captan Spandex, I hate to state the obvious but.." Max trails off . Steve chuckles 

"You know you are just like Tony." He air becomes thick and both notice that air turned to lead as they cross the road.

"Thats not a complement." Max deadpans making his head snap down to her.He couldn't figure her out but to be fair he couldn't figure Tony out either. Sighing, he stops at a metal bench and motions for her to sit. Rolling her eyes she reluctantly complies. Turning to face her he prepared his life changing pep talk. Note the sarcasm. 

"its not an insult, sure he is not responsible in any way and has the worst ideas" He chuckled "but he would lay down the world for you and he would give up everything for the people he cares about. and in his own weird way he loves you, yeah sure he might not be good a showing it but he sent you off to protect you. To not have you be subject to this li-" Max cuts him off pure white rage shown on her face illuminated dimly by the over head street light. 

"He shipped me off before the ironman thing. years before. explain that one Steve." Her voice was a deadly calm after a pause he sighs, 

"I can't, only he can answer that but if it helps any just know that he has changed more than anyone could have thought possible . I think patly he changed for you to be a better father for his child and he does love you." Max had nothing left to say 

"we should get back." she stands from the hard metal 

"yeah we should"

~~~~~~~~~

"where have you been?" Tony asks his daughter the moment Max walks through the door. brushing him off she heads for the evaluator. "Don't walk away from me . I'm sick of you thinking you can go anywhere you want without me know. you are still a child, for a matter of fact your still my child" he enters the elevator with her watching the stainless steal doors slide close.

"you are nothing to me" her eyes meeting they're replica. "Don't say that i'm still your father. That must count for something" Dare say he looked hurt .

"a father wouldn't never have done what you did" as the elevator doors slide open to her floor she heads down the hall leaving Tony stunned, she's down graded his status. 

~~~~~~~~~~

"happy birthday" she muttered to myself laying on the cold floor of her bedroom. it all felt unfamiliar. 

Something in her chest hurt it wasn't something she could put into words it wasn't a physical thing she could feel but somehow it hurt all the same. 

authors note: hey besties how you doing I know this took forever to update I know i'm sorry but its here so thats a plus. please comment I wanna see all your thoughts. and if I don't update again before the holidays have a happy holidays and a wonderful new year (: