An Unpleasant Surprise

A note to anyone
Who needs to hear it:
We don't "get over" or "move on" from our trauma.
We are forced to make space for it.
We carry it.
We learn to live with it.
And, sometimes we thrive in spite of it.

-anonymous

In the jet

On the way to HQ

Derren's POV :

I entered the jet.

Went to the common room and sat at the couch.

"You want some coffee?"

Arron offered me.

"I'll just have some tea."

I said to him.

Arron said okay and then brewed me some tea.

He gave me the cup and then sat in front of me.

I said thank you and then just enjoyed myself.

The feeling you get, when you just finished an assignment.

It's the best thing that you could feel.

Then suddenly Arron started a conversation.

"So, how did you met Friska back then?"

He asked me.

"Umm, met her in middle school. The details are kind of blurry now that I try to remember it. She was my girlfriend up until 9th grade."

I said with a chuckle.

" What was she like?"

Arron asked jokingly.

" Oh, she's a pain in the ass. If there's a Guinness world record for the most annoying person, Friska would've won it."

I said while laughing.

Then suddenly Arron asked me something which made the conversation serious.

" How do you do it?"

" How do you kill someone without regret?"

He asked me a serious question.

" Well, to me the bad guys are bad. And the good guys are good. When the bad gets in your way. You shoot. I have no regret shooting an obstacle in my way. Because that's what they are, merely an obstacle in one's path to "saving the world" . And when the good gets in the way. You also shoot. Because they're are also merely an obstacle. In truth, our line of work doesn't see good or bad. We only see the mission. The goal. And the obstacles. So if there were any obstacles, we crush them. I don't regret killing, because I don't see them as humans. I merely see them as obstacles. Plus, the bad and the good both know the risks of playing this type of game."

" The only type of people that I dont kill is the type that is normal. You know? People who work normal. Living a normal life. People that only mind their own business. People that don't care about our job. In truth, those people just live a normal and happy life with their families. Friends."