Chapter 13

There wasn't much in this world that could surprise Severus Snape. He thought himself to be a very logical man and knew that just about everything could be explained in one way or another. However, the events of the past fee hours had him questioning everything he thought he knew.

He was keenly aware of several things.

The first being that no wizard had ever triumphed over death in the way Lily, his Lily, and that wretched Potter had just appeared to. The entire driving force behind He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was the pursuit of that very thing.

The second thing being that this very fact put the Potter's in a considerable amount of danger. Well, more than they already were at any given time. The Dark Lord would almost certainly go to great lengths to discover the secret behind this resent resurrection.

The third being that he needed a drink. Immediately.

He made his way to his chambers, light on his feet, but not with a sense of elegance or grace. The anxious feeling in his chest made him feel feather light, as if he might float away. He felt ungrounded in his current reality. Hence the need for the bottle of firewhiskey he pulled from the back of cabinet when he finally arrived at his destination.

He uncorked the bottle as he made his way to where he kept his drinking glasses. As he scanned the shelves for a suitable glass, he settled on the simple glass he usually drank water from. Severus Snape was not an avid drinker by any means, and had no proper whiskey glasses.

He carefully poured the alcohol until the glass was roughly a quarter of the way full, closed the bottle, and made his way to his chair by the fireplace. He sat down a bit less gracefully than intended and took a sip. It is a very fortunate thing that he did not have reason to be up early the next morning.

He had a lot to process.