Chapter 11

There was a moment of silence as the two men stared at each other. The moment seemed to drag on for eternity for eternity until Vernon Dursley finally stumbled back into the house, James, Lily, Sirius, and Harry letting themselves in.

"PETUNIA!" he hollered, panic rising in his voice.

"Vernon, what's-" she said as she stepped into the room, cutting herself off with a shriek. The plate she was carrying fell to the floor and shattered.

"Who- who are you?" Vernon asked, still backing away.

Petunia made eye contact with Harry, finally realizing he was there.

"Harry, what's going on?" she asked him, now clinging to her husband's arm.

James strode towards the couple, Lily right on his heels. Sirius drew his wand and stayed back with Harry.

"You'll do what, Vernon?" James repeated himself, now within arms length of the couple, his wand pointed at Vernon's chest.

"This isn't real, you're dead," Vernon told him, still shaking.

"Oh, we're very real," replied Lily.

"This is all just a trick," Vernon said, now turning to look at Harry, "this is your doing, you ungrateful wretch."

"Vernon, stop-," Petunia tried to warn him.

"We never should have taken you in, damnable fools we were. Is this your revenge for all the kindness we've given you? You should have been blown up alongside your parents all those years ago," he continued.

Vernon, convinced the people in front of him were nothing but an apparition, lunged toward Harry. Harry jumped out of the way, but Vernon was stopped well before he could lay a hand on Harry. Lily sent a spell flying that slammed Vernon against the wall. Petunia screamed as spells flew.

"Incarcerous!" James quickly ensured that Petunia was no longer a threat, leaving her bound on the floor. Sirius tried to do the same to Vernon, but he quickly dodged the spell. Vernon made a lunge for Lily. She screamed as he grabbed her arm and held her in front of him.

James, afraid to miss Vernon and hit Lily with a spell, moved quickly and did the only thing he knew to do. He ducked around Lily and punched Vernon square in the jaw, causing him to go off balance and release Lily. Lily then turned around and cast a spell that left Vernon tied up on the ground.

"Don't you ever try to lay a hand on my son!" Lily screamed at him.

It was then that the unmistakable sound of a stair creaking was heard, and the group turned towards the noise. Dudley had heard the commotion and creeped downstairs.

"Popkin, phone the police!" Petunia hollered at him.

Dudley made a break for the back of the kitchen, attempting to lift a window and escape.

"Grab the boy!" Sirius shouted.