Chapter 9

Lily marched down the stairway wand in one hand, Harry in the other. The fire in her emerald green eyes and her frightening aura of confidence were enough to completely startle Professor Snape as she rounded the corner, who up until this point was standing in shock against the wall in the hallway.

"Severus, what are you doing?" Lily asked him, temporarily drawn away from her current mission.

"I- uh- I- you're alive," he clumsily started.

"Yes, I'm rather shocked myself, but we've already established that so get with program, Severus. You know what, bring me some Veritaserum, if you don't mind," Lily told him, surprisingly put together considering everything that had recently transpired.

"I can't just-" Professor Snape started.

"Weren't you a Death Eater, I don't know, yesterday? Where were your moral qualms then?" she countered.

Professor Snape began to stutter a reply, but quickly thought better of it and hurried down he hallway.

"What's the Veritaserum for?" Harry asked, rather innocently.

"Knowing Lily's sister and the awful man she married, they aren't likely to tell us the truth about anything at all. And, Harry, I've noticed that you've been watering down everything that's happened to you. You may have just met us, but you are still our son. You are still a child. I'll be the first to tell you that everything you've done is extremely badass, but you have to let us help you. I know it's weird suddenly having parents; it's weird suddenly having your baby boy turn into a young man overnight. But believe me when I tell you that we're here now, and we're going to help you," James told him.

Harry, close to tears, embraced his father. Before he could respond, the fragility of the moment was shattered by Professor Snape returning.

"Thank you, Severus," Lily staid as he handed her the potion. He remained silent as she brushed passed him, James, Harry, and Sirius in tow. Her fiery demeanor almost frightened Harry, but the thought that at the receiving end of her fury would be the Dursley's gave him a sort of guilty contentment.

The rather terrifying group of four continued down the hallways and out onto the grounds of Hogwarts. Harry wanted to say something, anything to break the silence as he hurried to keep up with his parents and godfather, but he simply could not find the right words.

"This should be far enough away," Sirius said, finally.

"Alright then, grab my hand," Lily said as she turned to Harry. Harry again felt the uncomfortable squeezing associated with Apperating, and when he opened his eyes once more, the four of them were standing in front of Number 4 Privet Drive.