fifteen

"I DON'T... I DON'T UNDERSTAND."

That was all Adelaide could utter out. She never thought that a game would lead to the elucidation of their breakup. Yet, there she was, gaping at Drew, struggling to comprehend the fact that he's in a PR stunt relationship. Of course, the signs were all there. But Adelaide hadn't wanted to assume things. Truth be told, Amaya and Drew's chemistry was unmatched compared to theirs. They looked good together.

Adelaide brushed off her thoughts and brought her attention back to Drew.

He was looking down at his hand, playing with the golden ring on his finger. "I wanted to tell you, Addie. I really did. I just... I-"

"2 minutes!"

It was clear in Drew's countenance that he was annoyed by Rudy's interruption; his nose flared and the muscles on his jaw clenched. If it were under different circumstances, Adelaide would've melt unto the ground because of the way he exuded hotness in that particular manner.

After a millisecond, Drew finally looks back at Adelaide and said, "I just want to let you know that... letting you go was the hardest thing I've ever had to do."

"Then why did you?" She couldn't help but ask.

Silence filled the air between them. Drew was taken aback by her question, clearly not anticipating it. He didn't know how to answer that without making her feel like she wasn't important to him.

"Why did you?" She repeats. "We were together for 2 years, Drew." The knot in his stomach tightens as he watches a tear escape her eye. "And you gave up on us." Adelaide hastily wipes away the tear before looking away.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "I-I did what I thought was right. I knew how much she meant to you, Addie. You were friends even before... we happened." He looks down, ashamed by his pathetic excuse.

"You didn't think you meant that much to me?"

Drew paused, ruminating on what she said.

"I cared about you, Drew." Adelaide muttered. "I... I still do." She finally admits.

Drew continued to stay silent, fixedly looking at her. He wanted to comfort her, and reassure her that he was going to fix everything. But the longer he looked at her, the gultier he felt and embarrassed about what he did. All he could do was apologize over and over again, and it still wouldn't be enough. At least, not for him.

"I'm really sorry that I hurt you, Addie." He swallows the lump in his throat. "I want to make it up to you. Let me make it up to you."

Adelaide's heart tugged at that. "It's fine. You don't have to. I just... I need time to figure out what I want." She finally replies after a short while.

Drew nodded, satisfied that she didn't defied his offer. "I'd give you all the time in the world."

Adelaide breathes out a sigh of relief and nodded at him.

"30 seconds!"

Drew clears his throat, "I'm sorry about what I said back out there." When he saw the confused look on her face, he adds, "The one where I said you can't cheat the game... it made you uncomfortable."

"Oh," she whispers. "It's fine."

Drew pauses for a moment, "Guess I'll see you around, yeah?" He offers a small smile.

"Yeah, see you." Adelaide smiles softly.

" Adelaide smiles softly