Changes In The Wind

Gordon is a big blue steam engine who pulls the express every day from Knapford to Vicarstown on the Island Of Sodor. He has pulled it ever since he arrived on the island. Rebecca also pulls the express. Sometimes they pull it together, starting at opposite ends of the line or if one is busy, the other covers for them. One sunny morning, Rebecca was pulling the express towards Vicarstown. She suddenly felt a pain on top of her boiler until she heard a faint hiss, it became louder and louder until Rebecca stopped in Henry's Forest, unable to move.
"What happened? I feel so weak!" Rebecca groaned.
The driver inspected her.
"I'm afraid you've burst your safety valve old girl! Don't worry, I'll call for the works diesel to rescue us." The driver grimaced. Using his radio, he called control and requested for the works diesel to pick them up.
The diesel was dozing outside the Steamworks as he was refuelled when Kevin rolled over.
"Rebecca has burst her safety valve in Henry's Forest Jeff, we need you to rescue her. BoCo will help the passengers. " The little yellow crane explained.
"I'm on it Kev!" Jeff smiled, as his engine roared into life and set off to the rescue. Kevin hurried back into the Steamworks and tipped over as he dodged some pipes!
"Kevinnn!" Victor groaned.
"Sorry boss!"
Jeff soon rescued Rebecca and brought her to the Steamworks.
Meanwhile, Gordon was making good time with his own express run when something sped past him!
"What on Sodor?!" He gasped.
He met Emily at Kellsthrope Road.
"Hi Gordon! Did you see that fast train pass through?" She smiled.
"Yes I did, rather unexpected too!" Gordon replied, "but I'm sure it's not as fast as me!"
"Well, from the speed they came through at I think they might be." Emily sighed.
Gordon said no more and steamed away. When Gordon reached Knapford he saw a most unusual engine in front of the train. It looked like a diesel, but it's front was sloped. They were blue and yellow, like the eight coaches behind.
"Hello there! You must be Gordon! I think we passed you earlier. " she greated.
"Erm yes. I erm am. Welcome to Sodor." Gordon stammered. As he reached the platforms end he saw another just like the one in front at the back!
"Hi there! Nice to meet you!" She smiled.
"Two diesels on both ends of a train? The worlds gone mad!" Gordon gasped.
"Actually, we're a mix of diesel and electric. We're known as intercity high speed trains." The first engine corrected.
"Must be rather weak if they need both ends of the train powered!" Gordon grunted.
"It's actually to save time running round the train. With two engines it's more fast and efficient." The second engine frowned.
"I see you've already met Pip and Emma Gordon!" The Fat Controller chuckled as he walked over.
"You could say that again..." muttered Gordon.
"They are here to cover forRebecca's express runs while she's being fixed. Please make them welcome!" The Fat Controller explained.
"I will Sir." Gordon smiled.
The Fat Controller walked away to get a Doughnut from M.C Bunn.
"...Ooh I'll take that one, that one and, err, that one please... thank you Joe... ohhh I'm getting another one of those later..."
"Typical Fat Controller!" Gordon murmured and went to turn around.
Gordon and the intercity engines did not get on. Pip and Emma constantly teased Gordon while the big engine tried to compete with their speed.  but despite his best efforts, Gordon couldn't keep up.
Eventually, he gave up. One day he brought his last express run for the day into Knapford Station where he saw Spencer.
"Well, well, well, if it isn't my old cousin Gordon, you are lucky to be on the express. " he smiled.
"How doyou mean, isn't being a private engine better?" Gordon replied , rather confused.
"Was. Since those intercitys came out I tried to compete with their speed until I broke down. The duke and duchess were forced to travel with an Intercity, they were so fast and modern, they replaced me with them, I'm a Sudrian now." Spencer sighed.
Gordon thought for a moment, for as long as he had known Spencer, he'd always been conceited and snooty, but now he was no longer a private engine, he seemed to be brought back down to Earth.
"Well Spencer, I'm sorry to hear that..." Gordon stammered, rather sympathetically.
That night, Gordon returned to Tidmouth Sheds, all the engines were there. Spencer was staying the night too.
"Hello Gordon! How was your day? Percy asked. Gordon didn't answer, he just rolled to the back of the sheds, he had alot on his mind.
Thenext morning, he woke up bright and early, he make his way to Knapford to see The Fat Controller.
When he arrived he saw him in leaving his office.
"Excuse me Sir, I'd like to speak to you about something." He requested.
"Alright Gordon, what would that be?"
"Well Sir, I've thought about it a lot over the years, but I've finally decided that i want to retire from express work, the new high speed engines, Pip and Emma, are much better suited for the Job, I think I would be better on other trains Sir." Gordon explained.
The Fat Controller was surprised, he'd never expected to hear this from Gordon.
"Are you sure Gordon?" He said kindly.
"Yes Sir, I am, times are changing every day and it's time for this number four to move on." Gordon confirmed.
"Very well Gordon, if that'swhat you want, I'd like you to collect some trucks from the docks for me." The Fat Controller smiled.
"Yes Sir!" With that Gordon steamed away.
Gordon soon told the others about the new arrangements. They knew Gordon was right, but they were concerned, he'd never been on the supporting side of this. Spencer moved over.
"You didn't have to do that Gordon, you still have a good number of years left." He said slowly.
"I know, but it was only a matter of time." Gordon sighed gravely.  With that, he steamed away to collect his next local train.
Nowadays, Gordon can be seen steaming accross the island with goods and passenger trains, rain or shine. He enjoys it and although he has retired from express work, he is still Gordon The Big Engine.