Proving Well (Barry The Rescue Engine part 2)

James soon dropped off the old engine at the Steamworks and picked up a load of scrap from the sidings to take to the smelters.
"Thank goodness James saved me! I don't know where I'd be without him!" The rusty engine smiled.
Victor steamed over.
"Hello my friend! What's your name? I'm Victor." The little red engine greeted.
"Oh, I don't exactly have a name, just a number, 46518." The engine sighed.
"I see, would you like a name?" Victor asked.
"Yes, only I can't think of any, I'll have to think it over..." 46518 smiled.
"Take all the time you need my friend!" Victor smiled and resumed his work.
Restoration took some time but after a couple months 46518 was ready.
A good number of the engines stood outside exitedly, they hadn't seen him before. James was at the front, he hadn't seen 46518 since rescuing him.
Suddenly, from inside the Steamworks the engines heard a faint hissing. An unfarmiliar engine puffed forward slowly. He was painted black with a Brittish Railways Emblem on his tender and the numbers '46518' on his tender. The engines gasped. The restored engine stopped and whistled proudly.
"How do you feel 46518?" James smiled.
"Very happy James, I never thought I'd move again!" The engine beamed, "Also, I've found myself a new name, as a tribute to the engines who weren't as lucky at the scrapyard I came from."
"What might that be?" Emily smiled.
"Barry!" 46518 announced.
"Hold up!" Neville gasped, "you mean ta say that you came from Barry's Yard?!"
"Yes, I... I did..." Barry stammered.
"I know an engine from that place, works on a heritage railway up in the midlands!" Neville smiled, "His name was Johnson!"
"I was on his siding actually, very nice chap, only wish the others were so lucky as him and I..." Barry sighed.
"Don't worry Barry, you're safe here with us! We'll all be here for you!" Stanley comforted.
"Thanks guys..." Barry smiled weakly.
Barry was soon making his way down the Mainline towards Knapford for his first job.
"Ahh Barry! Nice to see you made it safely!" The Fat Controller smiled as he arrived, "I'd like you to help out Stafford with the shunting at Knapford Harbour."
"Yes Sir, where is it?" Barry agreed.
"I'll get Phillip to show you the way!" The Fat Controller chuckled and called accross the yard.
"Phillip! Can you come over here please!" He requested.
"Coming Sir!" Phillip replied from behind the station. The boxcab soon raced over.
"Yes Sir? How can I be of service?" He smiled.
"I'd like you to meet Barry, our new engine!" The Fat Controller explained, "Can you show him the way to the harbour please?"
"Yes Sir! Right this way Barry! I'm Phillip! Did you know I had a race with Gordon once? I won too!" Phillip gossiped. Barry chuckled and followed him.
"Young engines these days..." he smirked.
Barry and Phillip soon reached Knapford Harbour, Barry was impressed.
"I remember travelling to harbours like this one back in my glory days you know Phillip." He smiled, "Lovely places they were too!"
"Wow! That sounds lovely, sorry! Must dash! Trucks to shunt!" Phillip replied in his giddy way, "Bye Barry! Bye! Bye! BYE!" He called as he left.
"I see you've already met Phillip then." Stafford chuckled as he shunted some trucks into a nearby siding.
"I certainly have!" Barry chuckled, "I'm Barry, I'm supposed to be helping an engine called Stafford with the shunting."
"That would be me then! Nice to meet you Barry!" Stafford smiled.
Barry and Stafford worked well together. That afternoon, things started to go wrong.
"Come on Stafford! We're ageing here!
The ship'll have left when we get there!" Cackled the trucks as Stafford tried moving them.
"Need some help?" Barry asked.
"Yes please Barry, these lot are being very troublesome!" Stafford groaned.
"I'll sort them out, you can rest." Barry smiled.
The larger engine buffered up to the trucks.
"Let's get you lot loaded then!"
"We don't want to! We don't want to!" The trucks grumbled.
"We'll see about that!" Barry snorted and began heaving the trucks into place.
"You'll bust our brakes!" The trucks shrieked.
"Release them then!" Barry snapped.
The trucks gave in and let Barry move them.
"Thanks Barry! I owe you one!" Smiled Stafford.
"Don't mention it, always happy to help." Barry grinned.
Barry was shunting some flatbeds into a siding when Duck rolled in with Judy and Jerome.
"Oh! So you're this Barry I've been hearing about. Pleased to meet you. My name is Duck." The Westerner smiled.
"Indeed I am, nice to meet you too Duck." Barry chuckled. "Any trains I can get you?"
"No thanks, just dropping off the breakdown train at Arlesburgh." Duck smiled.
"Fair enough."
Just then the foreman came running.
"Duck! Percy has derailed at the Viaduct! You must rescue him!" He cried.
"Yes Sir!" Duck replied.
As he began to leave there was a sudden hiss and he groaned to a stop.
"Ouch! Bother that safety valve!" He groaned.
"Never mind that! An engine is in danger!" Barry gasped. "I'll get him back on track!"
"Good luck!" Duck sighed.
"Thanks, I'll need it..." Barry coupled up to the breakdown train and hurried off to the rescue.
Edward was at Wellsworth when Barry stormed past!
"Go on Barry! You've got this!" He called.
Barry soon arrived at the Viaduct, Percy was hanging precariously over the ravine beside the start of the bridge!
"What happened here?" Barry gasped.
"The silly trucks bumped me on the points back down the line and derailed my front wheels. I tried to stop but they bumped me on and I ended up here..." Percy sighed.
"Don't worry! We'll have you back on firm rails soon!"
"Thanks Barry."
Percy was soon lowered back onto the rails.
"There you are Percy." Jerome smiled.
"You're back on the rails again." Judy added.
"Thanks guys." Percy sighed.
"I'll take you to the Steamworks Percy, you should probably be checked over for any damage." Barry smiled.
The B1 coupled up to Percy and helped him to the Steamworks and left Judy and Jerome to rerail the trucks.
When Barry returned the cranes to Arlesburgh, he found The Fat Controller waiting for him.
"Evening Barry." He addressed.
"Hello Sir." Barry replied.
"I would like to congratulate you on your quick thinking today, you went to rescue Percy without hesitation! That is the mark of a truly useful engine. I'm incredibly proud of you!" The Fat Controller smiled.
"T-Thank you Sir!" Barry beamed.
"Furthermore, I realise that as more engines join us, Emily and Harvey can't help everywhere with maintenance and accidents, so I think you would make a fantastic rescue engine!" The Fat Controller added.
"Oh thank you Sir!"
Now Barry is as happy as can be! He works well with Judy and Jerome and always does his job well.
The others laughed at first and called him 'Barry The Rescue Engine.' Barry was delighted and so Barry The Rescue Engine he will always be!