Saved From The Torch (Barry The Rescue Engine Part 1)

James The Red Engine has always had a dislike for trucks since his accident caused by his wooden brakes catching fire, ever since then he'd always preferred passenger trains. One morning, the engines were just waking up at Tidmouth Sheds, when The Fat Controller arrived.
"Morning Engines, I'm sorry James but I need you to collect a goods train from the Mainland." The Fat Controller said gravely.
"Oh come on! Why me Sir? Why not Bear, or Molly, or..." James' complaints were cut off by The Fat Controller.
"Nevile's cilynders are blocked so he is unable to take the train, you are the only engine available right now!" He said sternly.
"There's like a million engines on this island now!" James muttered as he snorted off.
"Typical James." Percy muttered.
"Indeed, you wouldn't catch me complaining like that!" Gordon smirked.
"Really? I remember you rolling into a ditch once to avoid taking some trucks!" Thomas replied cheekily.
"Go fall down another mine!" Gordon snapped.
"Only after you smash up another station fatface!" Thomas laughed as he scampered off, leaving a fuming Gordon behind.
James arrived at Barrow to collect his trucks. The Diesel bringing them had not arrived so he had to wait.
After fifteen minutes, the diesel arrived.
"You took your time!" James grumbled.
"Well I'm sorry, not my fault this rusty kettle lumbering behind got me stuck on the Lickey Incline! Had to wait for a blinkin' Jinty to give me a push!" The diesel snapped.
James looked to the front of the train to see an old, rusty steam engine.
"What's he doing here?" James asked.
"Due for scrapping at your smelters, good riddance I say!"
"I see... such a shame..." James sighed.
The diesel rolled his eyes and left the trucks for James.
"Not on my watch he's not!" James muttered. The red engine coupled up and dragged the train towards Sodor. When he reached Vicarstown, he took a detour into the yards. Rosie was surprised to see him.
"Hi James, I wasn't expecting to see you here today." She smiled.
"Well, I'm not exactly scheduled to stop here, but I need to ask you for a favour..." James admitted.
"What might that be?" Rosie asked.
"This engine behind me, I need you to hide him here until I can speak to The Fat Controller." James answered.
"I don't know James, I don't think The Fat Controller would be too happy about it!" Rosie said, choosing her words wisely.
"He doesn't need to know! It's only until I can speak to him, if anybody asks, I'm collecting him later!" James protested.
"It seems risky!" Rosie worried.
"Come on Rosie! This engine is one of us! No engine left behind! If you won't help me, I'll find him somewhere to hide!" James retorted and began to leave.
"Wait!" Rosie gasped, "I'll help you, I know an old siding nobody uses! I'll hide him there!"
"Thank you Rosie! You won't regret this!" James smiled.
"No worries Jimmy!" Rosie teased.
James moved the old engine off his train and coupled up to the rest of it.
"Good luck James!" Rosie called as he left. "I'll need it!" James muttered.
James sped along the main line, he had to see The Fat Controller as soon as possible!
"Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!" He panted.
He soon reached Knapford, The Fat Controller was about to enter his office when James bustled in!
"Sir! I need to... speak to... you!" He panted.
"What is it James?" He asked, rather surprised. After James explained The Fat Controller became stern.
"James, that was most irresponsible of you, although I'd do the same in your place! Get this engine at once and take him to the Sodor Steamworks! Victor will have his smokebox clean and pistons pumping in no time!" He said urgently, "And while you're there take any scrap they have to the smelters, we need to compensate for their engine!"
"Yes Sir! Thank you Sir! I'm on my way Sir!" James beamed. He raced off to do just that!
James sped into Vicarstown to see Rosie shunting some trucks behind BoCo.
"Hullo James! How are you?" BoCo smiled.
"Much better after speaking to The Fat Controller! Guess what Rosie, he said yes!" James beamed.
"That's brilliant! He's in the far end of the yard." Rosie smiled.
"Can I have some context please?" BoCo asked, rather perplexed.
James moved over to the engine and hauled him over.
"How's this for context?" He smirked.
"So, you've saved another steam engine?" BoCo asked.
"Pretty much, I'm taking him to the Steamworks now!"
"Nice one James, welcome to Sodor!" BoCo smiled, addressing the engine.
"Thanks... I never thought I'd turn a single wheel again. Thanks so much, James was it?" The engine smiled shyly.
"Yes, no thanks needed. We can't save every engine, but we can most certainly try!" James beamed.