so you want a good cover

Cooling down from my various rants, we're going to get back to the point of this book. So, you want a good cover. Where do you start? Who do you choose? What do all these threads mean? 

That's where I come in. Follow my tips and you're sure to find an amazing cover that will entice your readers and impress your friends. 

                1. Set aside at least 10 to 30 minutes to look for your cover maker. 

This is your book we're talking about. If you can't find the time to get a proper cover for it, then you obviously don't have the time to write it.

                2. Make sure you have ideas before you start searching for a cover. 

You will not get what you want unless you know what you want. Think about what you want your cover to look like. Get a rough idea or concept in your head. Use this when you're searching for a designer, and when you're filling out the necessary form. 

                3. Learn the lingo.

A solo means only one designer is working there, a duo/trio/quartet means there's 2, 3, or 4 designers working there (respectively). A group means many designers, perhaps even 20 or 30. None of these types are particularly better than the other, but it's sometimes good to have a wider spectrum of possible designers. Then, there's styles of covers that you should look out for. Minimalist means covers with simple vector/drawn images and solid colors. Manip is short for manipulation and it means covers that involve blending photos and textures together to create a unique scene. Simple means taking an existing photograph and making small adjustments to it. Decide which style you want before you starting looking for a cover.

Also, there are premades which are covers that the designer made for practice and thus are not currently being used by any book. If you want one, the designer will change the title and author's name, then give it back to you. Who knows, you might find a premade that fits your idea perfectly. 

Next, there's the terminology you'll see on the thread. Open means the designer(s) is accepting requests, while closed means the designer(s) is not accepting requests. Rules are requirements and general guidelines you should abide by when you're requesting. Examples/samples/portfolio is previous graphics your designer has made and usually comes in the form of a link. Click on the link and look through their work. The queue is a list of requests that need to be done. Your request should show up on the queue 24 hours after you request. There may be a VIP list on the thread (although they are going out of style), but you don't need to worry about that. However, if you see a blacklist or even a list of affiliates on the thread, GET OUT NOW because that person is definitely clinging to the past. A blacklist is a list of people who are not allowed to request, which is completely rude and now against the rules. 

                4. Know what threads to click on. 

Let's play a game! I'll show you a list of potential threads, and you need to decide whether they should be clicked on (YES) or whether they should be ignored (NO). You should choose to click on threads that look like they hold an air of professionalism, because it probably means mature designers and higher quality graphics. 

        BEGIN
        a. love yourself | group thread | open
        b. PROFESSIONAL DESIGNER HERE, MOSTLY BUMPS, COME IN, OPEN
        c. oblique // covers // closed
        d. FREE covers ;; NO pay ;; OPEN
        e. almost free covers - open
        f. flik's solo thread :: icons :: open
        g. cover duo [ o p e n ]
        h. Graphic Stalkers V46
        i. premade giveaway || open
        j. all night long ~ ketchup