frequently asked questions UPDATED

Q: Where can I find the MDC?

A: It's a club you can easily access by clicking on the Community tab on the top of the screen, then Clubs. You should find the words Multimedia Designs on the side of the screen marked under Specialty Clubs. When you enter it, you should see an array of threads. Click All Discussions (near the bottom) to view them all. 

Q: What's the point of the MDC?

A: Face it, we all judge books by their covers. The same goes for Wattpad books. The MDC is a place where users can come together to make beautiful covers for each other, and getting a nice cover for your book increases your potential for reads. No one wants to read a story with a generic cover (the one that's just your profile picture blurred out) or an unattractive, cluttered one with weird fonts and colors. 

Q: Why can't I post in a discussion?

A: You need to have a Wattpad account for longer than three days to be able to post in the clubs. Have no fear, Wattpad just wants you to do some writing and reading before you start socializing. (I know it's sort of dumb, but it's a new rule.)

Q: Where do I start? How can I get a cover? 

A: First, read the Club Guidelines and make sure you understand them. Not following these rules can result in some serious consequences. Next, there are two ways to get a cover, and both have their pro's and con's. If you click on Start Discussion (near the top), you can make your own thread requesting a cover. This could be bad, because you don't know who will be making you covers (they may not be what you're looking for), and you'll have to provide multiple payments. But, you also have many options and can make your own rules. The second way is to search the discussion board for cover threads. The pro's is that you can see each designer's examples, rules, and payment before you even talk to them and can assure you'll be getting a quality cover. The con is that you don't have options. 

Q: Can't I just request at a bunch of threads for the same cover? 

A: This is generally frowned upon in the MDC and is called, "thread hopping." As designers, we work very hard just to make one cover and we want our work to be appreciated. As common courtesy, thank your designer after they give you your cover, and use it for at least two weeks. If you really can't use it, respectfully tell them that it's not what you're looking for and move on. If you follow my tips in later chapters, you probably won't have to tell this to a designer, because the work you get will be top quality.

Q: How do I start as a graphic designer?

A: Designing is a craft that doesn't improve overnight. It's good to start with a small program and work your way up. I suggest picmonkey (a website); it will help you get used to formatting images, making simple effects, and using fonts. From there, you can go to Pixlr (yet another website) and use it's advanced editor program. This site is designed to be a miniature version of Photoshop, and you might need to look up some tutorials to find out how it works. Don't go straight to Photoshop or GIMP! These programs are too advanced for beginners unless you have a real instructor. 

Q: What's the right size for covers?

A: Wattpad wants us to use the size 512x800 pixels, but this size is huge and very hard to work with. You may also use these sizes if you're more comfortable with them: 256x400 and 320x500. The ideal PPI (or DPI) to use is between 80 and 100 (if your program offers such a decision). 

Q: Can you make me a cover?

A: No.

Q: What program do you use for [insert graphic here]?

A: I use Photoshop CS6 for everything design-related (including my vector textures), I even used it to create most of my drawn icons. Nowadays, I actually use Paint Tool SAI for all digital art. I also use a Wacom Intuos tablet and stylus for both art and design. 

Q: Can you make a tutorial?

A: I plan on making tutorials, if you do need to know. Right now, I don't have the time or any idea of what to teach. I plan on doing tuts on the following; typography, vectors, and digital art.