so you want to go on hiatus/quit

Life as a Wattpad designer was never meant to last forever. For me, as college approaches and as new goals make their way into my mind, the idea of taking a hiatus or quite possibly a permanent one rears its ugly head from day to day. You may be wondering, when is the right time? How do I know I want to do this? How should I go about it?

For me, quitting Wattpad design or at least slowing down (to the point where it's like quitting) is inevitable and will happen before the end of summer. If you're thinking about going on a hiatus yourself, whether it's for three weeks or forever, I hope my advice and thoughts on the matter help you on this very important, emotional endeavor. (Trust me, it is emotional! Don't be afraid to get emotional.)

               1. Choosing when to go on hiatus.

If it's only a short or temporary hiatus, this can be easy to choose. Usually you go on a temporary hiatus when you know you're going to be busy for a few weeks/months, or you've lost most of your inspiration, or you're focusing on other goals. (Passing finals, for instance!) Whether it's temporary or permanent, the same phrase reigns true. Say it with me, kids.

SOONER IS BETTER THAN LATER

Yes, now say it again. Again. Shout it from your bedroom window, scream it to the Heavens!

SOONER IS BETTER THAN LATER

I'm a procrastinator, so I get it. Letting go is hard. I keep on checking the discussion board, keep applying to threads I can't commit to, keep starting covers I won't finish. I wish I had cut this throat sooner, because honestly it's TORTURE if you make it drag on. You see things move and progress, new designers and old designers keep getting better, while you're getting no better. You're only watching, subconsciously wanting to stay in the MDC while at the same time the things you said you'd focus on (writing, schoolwork, your job, getting in shape) are also on hold. You're within and without. Stuck in Wattpad purgatory.

Don't get stuck in Wattpad purgatory. Choose a date, a near one. Stick to it. Cut yourself off from the MDC, if you have to. Write down your goals, write down deadlines. Your new life and new aspirations are more important than the MDC right now.

              2. How do I go about doing this?

Trust me, this is something that's been biting at me since I first decided I wanted to quit. But, I think I've developed a pretty good comprehensive list of what to do and how to do it, so keep reading!

               a. inform your followers: Send them a message, put it in your bio, and MAKE SURE your followers know the terms and conditions of your hiatus. Which message is better?

-

"I'm gonna go on a hiatus soon soo...."

OR

"I've finally decided to make a permanent hiatus from cover-making. Please do not send me requests through PM, tag me in design threads, or recommend that others request from me. This is going to be a tough transition, but I'm choosing to focus on my college work. You can still chat with me, however, I might be a little late to reply. Thank you for understanding and being such great friends! I would have never decided to pursue a Graphic Design BFA if not for Wattpad and all the other great designers who have helped me on my path. Good luck to you all in the future.

-

Obviously the second one, right? The most important thing is to make sure your followers know how to communicate with you! ("I'm deleting this account, but if you still want to talk to me you can follow me on Tumblr.") Or whether to communicate with you at all. ("I'll be in Beijing for two months, so please do not send me any messages during this time.) If you're going on a temporary hiatus, it's smart to change your icon to one that says "on hiatus." If you're deleting your account, try to warn your followers beforehand so they can at least unfollow you.

              b. one final goodbye: If you're anything like me, you are not leaving the MDC (or Wattpad) without a bang. You won't really need this if you're only planning on a temporary hiatus, but despite this PLEASE KEEP READING. I'm going to ask you something soon.

There are two things I plan on doing to celebrate my leaving. You should think of some, too! Getting creative with your leave is not only super fun but will (hopefully) help give you closure and help you move on. The first is a "one last thread." This is a solo thread where you make your very last Wattpad graphics, and start saying your goodbyes. Make sure everyone knows it's your LAST thread (yes, another gimmick, yet one that I approve of). More people will care! For my last thread, I'm going to do something I've never seen another Wattpad designer do before. Want to know what it is? Sorry, but I can't tell you. Once I open the thread (soon!) I'll post a link on BOTH my accounts.

The second and final "event" I plan on hosting before I leave is, well, a goodbye thread. It will be a "party" so to speak where I officially announce my leaving date, the terms of my leave, and have a countdown. In addition to this countdown, I'll be saying some final goodbyes via heartfelt shout-outs to my friends and the MDC designers as a whole, celebrating my transition from wannabe artist to graphic design veteran, hosting games, raffles, and lots more! It will be fun! (NOTE: I want to do this not only for everyone else, but for me. I'm the kind of person who needs closure. If I throw a party for my leaving, I know I will not try to go back.) So, if you're interested in being a part of my little last days get-together, send me a PM on my main account nescience. I'll either plan to give you a shout-out, enter you in a special raffle, or figure out something else for you haha. I want as many people to be involved as possible!

Okay, so this section turned into a thing about me, but that's okay. Let's get back on track. 

               3. What to expect.

I've been on hiatuses before (LOTS OF HIATUSES) so if there's anyone you can trust to give you the straight business, it's me.

Either you're going to miss designing a lot, or you're not going to miss it at all. (I would think most people lean toward the latter.) This is important as it makes you realize whether you've
"gotten all you can out of Wattpad design" or if you still have another good year left. For a while, Wattpad design was my LIFE. It was practically all I thought about. I started when I was a Freshman in high school and now I'm a high school graduate. I like to think I've gotten all I can get out of it, but your experience might be different.

No one is going to miss you. Eh, sad but true. I mean, if you have a friend or two who you chat with over PM from time to time, they're probably going to miss you for a while. But eventually they, and everyone will stop thinking about you. They will continue to do their own thing.

I say this because you shouldn't expect to return to the MDC (or Wattpad) thinking everything will be the same. Nothing will. Your old friends will be indifferent toward you, there will be new designers taking your place, there will be new innovations in terms of threads, graphic types, forums, and trends. 

You'll also find that your attitude has changed, your style has changed, and that you have done a little growing up (or a lot of growing up). You might not be as excited about design as you were pre-hiatus, but this is only natural. You either have to explore your new style and roll with it, or decide to go on an even longer hiatus. It's up to you. Some people stay in the MDC well into their college or adult years (take Ashihara or Forcade for example), and some don't. There's no right or wrong answer. Do what you feel is best for your happiness and your future.

This has been a pretty hard topic for me to discuss. Deciding to end Wattpad design is almost like closing an important chapter of your life. I hope you all got something out of this little chapter, whether your next hiatus is weeks away or years away.