Chapter 1: Imperial Attack

3-PO had just finished pronouncing those words, then a much stronger vibration shook the ship again, this time the three youngsters had to balance themselves in order not to fall on the floor. The lights fizzled for a moment. The alarm never stop blaring.

"That didn't sound promising." Ezra commented.

"I detect heavy damage to the main reactor." Jinx said from Ezra's omni-tool.

"Then it's a race against time." Jaral said. "Let's hope those droids are close enough."

While they waited, they heard a loud clanging sound that lasted a few seconds, and the siblings immediately understood: a tractor beam. Soon enough, a battalion of stormtroopers would breach the main airlock and swarm the ship. They had to leave before the imperials found them.

As the first sounds of blaster eventually resonated in the corridors, it was R2 who first arrived on the scene.

"I'll record a message for Obi-Wan." Leia announced. "At least he will know for sure that is my father who asked."

The siblings would have really liked to know why the fact that Bail was asking would make such a difference, but that simply wasn't the right time. The blasters were coming ever closer. The lightly equipped soldiers of the Tantive stood no chance against the stormtroopers, so there was no time to waste.

"Do it, we'll watch your back." Jaral said, and she and Ezra turned toward the only door leading to the main corridor, ready to grab a weapon if the need arose.

After a few seconds of preparations, Leia started speaking while R2 recorded.

"General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I'm unable to present my father's request in person. But my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to the Alliance has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. I'm sending this droid along with two of the best warriors of the Rebellion, that I'm sure you'll recognize immediately.

"You must help them see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan or the Coalition's space. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're our only hope."

A closer detonation followed. Leia carefully put the data disc into R2's dome head, right when C3-PO entered the maintenance section, since he ended up lost from his counterpart.

 Leia carefully put the data disc into R2's dome head, right when C3-PO entered the maintenance section, since he ended up lost from his counterpart

"R2, thank the maker I found you." the protocol droid said, waving his constrained arms in what was probably an expression of relief.

"Ezra, Jaral." Leia called with a calm tone and the siblings turned around.

Leia gently patted R2's head and the astromech rolled toward them.

"He's ready. You better get to the escape pods before it's too late."