Chapter 9: The Battle of Yavin

"Stay close to Yavin's atmosphere as long as you can, it should hide our approach for a while." Jaral instructed the air armada of the coalition.

Indeed, the magnetic distortion caused by the atmosphere of the gas giant was able to confuse the sensors of the Rebellion, meaning that the Empire would have the same problem, given they had the same technological level.

Soon enough, everybody could spot the Death Star even without sensors.

"Look at the size of that thing." one of the pilots commented.

"Cut the chatter, Vulture-3." his commander replied.

Then a turbulence rocked the fighters.

"We're passing through the magnetic field." Jaral announced. "Switch shields at double front. All fighters, accelerate to attack speed."

Soon enough, the majority of the fighters sprinted forward, heading toward the equator of the station.

"Rogue Leader, commence the attack." she then ordered.

"All wings, engage." Wedge said in response. "We'll cut across the axis and draw their fire."

The X-Wings locked the foils in attack position and the federal Tridents and Hunters loosened their formations, anticipating heavy fire from the surface of the station.

Jaral and Ezra led Red and Gold squadron in the rear, then the Falcon also appeared to join the formation.

"Nice of you to join us, Falcon." Luke quipped on the comlink.

"I couldn't leave you all the reward and the merit, kid." Han joked.

"Stay focused, gentlemen

"Stay focused, gentlemen." Ezra said calmly. "Our allies have reached the surface."

Indeed, the shield fighters were already flying right above the surface, evading the turbolasers and hitting all the sensitive facilities they could spot around the objective. At the same time, they were forming a circular perimeter around the shaft that hosted the exhaust port, clearing the area for Gold Squadron to make the first attack run.