8 the meeting

7 the meeting

The Honeymoon was over. The positive atmosphere got suspended, replaced by a silent tension. Men from other parts of the factory began sending their condolences.

Falling out with Andy was an event a lot of people were looking forward to. It was even more eagerly anticipated than usual social occasions, such as ice cream van or Easter since it was not scheduled in a regular calendar. The men could forget about their animosities and differences and gather together to celebrate someone else's misery. It was a beautiful moment and everyone wanted to take part in it with the exception of Andy, who marinated like a pickle in righteous bitterness, seemingly unaware that the whole factory turned against him. For Andy, it was normal, for Michael it was uplifting. To see all those men clapping or shaking their fists in a clear show of support was just as comical as it was refreshing. It put everything in the correct perspective. There was no need to be unnecessary negative, nobody wanted to sack him. To prove the point, Michael went to Jason, who glued to his iPhone, giggled like a toddler.

- Do you like apples? - Michael inquired.

- They all right? – Jason replied without looking.

- Do you know they had sacked Steve Jobs?

- Really? – Jason was clearly moved.

- From his own company. – Michael carried on.

- Really?? – Jason could not believe it. He raised his eyebrows with surprise.

- Can you imagine?

- Shocking!

- They can sack whoever they want – Michael kept probing.

- No, they can't – Jason put his phone away and looked at Michael.

- Yes they can.

- Not without a reason. – Jason explained. He believed in fairy tales. It was so sweet of him.

- They can always find a reason – reminded Michael soberly.

- You would have to hit someone.

- Like him? – Michael pointed his head in Hooligan's direction.

- That's different – Jason clarified quickly.

- What's different about it?

- They like him here – he explained.

Michael turned around, just about enough to glance at Hooligan. He was a short and stocky individual with a big belly and strong arms covered in tattoos. His face could feature on the Christmas edition of "Cocaine" magazine. It was a scary face of a notorious brawler and substance user, red, full, and bloated. A set of small, glassy eyes and scars on his forehead completed the picture. Michael looked back at Jason.

- They like him here? – He repeated with a slight disbelieve.

- He is all right – Jason confirmed eagerly. He was shitting his pants.

- He is all right? – Michael repeated after him.

- I have not got a problem with anyone – Jason added quickly and smiled like a person who has got a problem with everyone.

- Well, if they like him here, it means they can sack whoever they do not like.

- Not here – Jason shrugged his arms. – Here you have got a job for life.

He was very convincing and Michael momentarily brightened up. Those were probably the best news he could have imagined. He wanted to give Jason a cuddle.