18

Clara sat in the library calmly reading her book. Her fingers flicking from page to page. She found that the best way to calm her feelings where for her to indulge in reading. Especially since yesterday was an emotional roller coaster.

Almost as if on cue the door opened and in walked the one and only Laurie.

"Hello Clara." He greeted a smile on his face

"I don't want to see you." Clara said, not looking up from her book. Her fingers danced along the front cover as she tried her hardest not to stare into Laurie's sea of Hazel eyes.

"Clara don't be mad at me i'm sorry for how I behaved." Laurie plead "I don't like when you're mad at me.

"Your drunk." Clara scoffed closing her book aggressively and placing it down on her lap.

"Why are you being so hard on me it's only 1 pm."

"Well someone has to be." Clara stood up, sliding her book into its spot on the book shelf.

"And how is your french going?" Laurie asked leaning on the book shelf next to Clara. He slowly tucked her hair behind her ear, before grabbing her chin and lightly pulling her face towards him causing the two to have to stare into each others eyes.

"What does french have to do with any of this?" Clara asked in a whisper. She looked away from Laurie's eyes before glancing down at his lips and back up to his hazel sea. Clara knew she shouldn't be acting in such a way. She was meant to be engaged to George, she shouldn't be feeling such a way then she did right now with Laurie, but in the back of her mind her thirteen year old self had been wanting for this for so long.

Attention is what she longed for, anything sort of acknowledgement from Laurie.

"I just want to know you, i've know you for forever, but I don't really know the real Clara March. " Laurie whispered his finger gracing over her chin, his touch sending a light chill down her spine.

"Well you can't do much knowing French, unless you live in France" Clara said a light smile emerging onto her face.

"Please do teach me how to speak French Miss March." Laurie whispered as his finger began to draw circles on Clara's chin. "The language is so...romantic."

Clara then laughed lightly "I'm done with French." She whispered  "The real reason i'm in Paris is to marry."

"Im guessing this is we're George Irvine comes into the picture." Laurie's hand movements came to a stop as he let go off Clara's chin.

"It can be." Clara said watching the way Laurie's small smile dropped.

"I don't see why." Laurie mumbled shaking his hand.

"He's rich, he has money, more than you even."

"I get it girls need money to make their way along Society, although it does seem odd coming from the mouth of one of your mothers girls." Laurie crossed his arms quickly glancing down to Clara's lips before looking back into her eyes.

"I've always known I would marry rich why should I be ashamed of that?" Clara asked ignoring Laurie's small gesture.

"You shouldn't." Laurie mumbled standing up straight. The two held eye contact in a comfortable silence before the sound of horses drew the twos attention away from each other's eyes.

"George is here." Clara informed looking out the window. "I must go." She said walking out of the door leaving Laurie alone with his thoughts.