Part 4

Without meaning to, you exhale. The mountain suite has that effect on people, including yourself. Entering the room, you face floor-to-ceiling windows which display snow-covered mountains. A balcony lies beyond double doors, complete with a steaming hot tub and a twinkle-light trellis.

The elevator opens into the foyer, through which the main room is visible. You're relieved to find the fireplace has been lit, its flickering flames casting shadows across the floor. To your right is a long hall which leads to the master bedroom.

Letting out a low whistle, Jungkook comes to a stop. "Wow, this is amazing."

"I'm glad you think so," you say, crossing the room to the kitchen.

Opening the fridge, you pull out a carafe and pour a glass of water. After a moment of hesitation, you take out a bowl and fill this as well.

"In case you're thirsty after your flight," you explain over your shoulder. "If there's anything at all you need, please let me know. You can reach the concierge by dialing nine on that phone. Room service is also available 24/7 – I'd ask for our sous chef, Hoseok," you add. "He's the best."

Leaning a hip to the counter, Jungkook watches you place a bowl on the floor.

"Is that for Bam?" he asks.

Confused, you pause. "Oh – yes. I hope that's alright? Does he not drink tap water, or something?"

Jungkook hides a smile. "He'll drink anything, don't worry. He's not used to being pampered like this. I'll have high standards to live up to when we go home."

"Oh," you say, then pause. "Right."

Leaving Bam to hydrate, you straighten and cross into the main room. "The blinds are on timers," you explain, showing a panel near the balcony. "But they can also be controlled here, along with heating and lighting."

Nodding, Jungkook follows and comes to a stop in the middle of the room.

"Cool," he says, then pauses. "So. Are we ever going to talk about the fact that we know each other?"

Freezing, you glance at him in surprise.

He's still wearing the puffer jacket, zipped to his chin over plain dark joggers. The beanie is gone, removed between here and the lobby and causing his hair to stick up messily in the back.

"I – what?" you blurt.

Not the most eloquent comeback but all things considered, you find it appropriate. Stricken, you watch as Jungkook walks closer.

"We knew each other in college," he repeats. "You're Leslie's friend – Y/N."

Coming to a stop, he looks down and you're forced to tilt your head upward. He might not be as tall as Namjoon, but Jungkook is tall. You forgot that. You forgot a lot of things, apparently, including how easily his presence affects you.

When you remain silent, a flash of uncertainty crosses his features.

"You are that Y/N, right?" Jungkook asks. "I recognized you in the lobby, but then you introduced yourself as though you didn't know me, so I thought maybe you didn't remember, or –"

"I remember," you cut in.

"Oh." Jungkook pauses. "Okay, good."

"I remember," you say, "but I didn't think you'd remember me. You were the golden boy on campus, and I was just, well – your girlfriend's friend."

Something in his gaze flickers.

"Leslie and I didn't date for very long," Jungkook says quietly.