Part 10

The next day dawns, bright and cold on the slopes.

Seokjin is up early with his beginner class, Hoseok bakes cookies for the Christmas Eve party and Namjoon is welcoming a visiting ambassador and her family. There are no events scheduled for Jungkook until the late afternoon, which means you find yourself pulled in several different directions.

After lunch, you head for Jungkook's suite and run into him and Bam in the hall. Today's photoshoot is of them in the snow. You're saving shots of Jungkook snowboarding until the last day, when a sports photographer is visiting and has agreed to snap photos in exchange for a discounted rate.

Exiting the lodge, you squint at the brightness and pull out your sunglasses. Taking control of the shoot, you position Jungkook at the ski lift with the slopes in the background. Bam is enthusiastic about the photos, barking excitedly each time you toss snow in the frame. Once you have enough options for today's Instagram post, the three of you head back inside for Hoseok's hot chocolate.

Jungkook holds open the door, allowing you to enter and you can barely meet his gaze. You can't stop remembering the cookie contest; the way he said your name, his vascular forearms, and the casual way he insisted on going to the restaurant together.

"So, I was thinking," Jungkook says, interrupting your thought.

Glancing upward, you find him looking almost nervous. The main door to the lodge falls shut behind you, and you begin to unbutton the top of your coat.

"Thinking about what?" you ask.

"We should ride to the restaurant together tonight. I have a driver who can pick us up if you want. We could leave around... seven?"

"Seven sounds good," you agree. "I can drive us though, Jungkook. I have a car."

"I know. I just thought you might be more comfortable if you didn't have to drive."

Butterflies alight in your stomach, and you wonder what, exactly, he thinks might distract you.

"Just how drunk should I plan on getting?" you tease.

Jungkook's cheeks flush. "You don't have to drink," he counters. "I just thought, with the snow and all –"

"I'm kidding, Jungkook," you laugh. "A driver would be nice. Let's meet in the lobby at seven?"

"Perfect." His head bobs.

"I'm sorry about my outfit in advance," you add, aware that you're rambling. "I know this isn't a date or anything, but I feel like I should dress nicely and all I have here is a single sweaterdress. So, I'm sorry."

A wordless emotion passes over his features, although it's gone so fast, you think you've imagined it. Did Jungkook think this was a date? If so, that wasn't clear from your conversation with Namjoon.

Before you can press this issue, Jungkook takes a step closer. Glancing down, he pauses, and you breathe in his scent of cardamom and peppermint.

"I'm sure you'll look beautiful," he murmurs.

Before you can think of an appropriate response, Jungkook turns away.

"I'll see you tonight," he calls, heading down the hall.

You stare after him until, with a shake of your head, you realize you haven't responded. If this is any indication of how tonight will go, you might be in trouble.