Part 15

The bare ceiling bulb flickers before casting the room in a greenish-gray glow. Its furnishings are sparse – a bed for naps, a small kitchenette and a moth-bitten couch which has seen better days. Boxes have been shoved beneath the window, piled haphazardly to block out the light.

Lowering you onto the bed, Jungkook retreats and toes off his boots at the door. His parka, goggles, and hat are next, and he glances around the space with a swift efficiency.

Spotting the kitchenette, Jungkook crosses the room to drop his bag on the counter. Unzipping it, he pulls out a roll of gauze, a cold pack, and antiseptic.

"Is it only your ankle that's hurt?" Jungkook asks as he turns. "Any scrapes or cuts that need to be disinfected?"

"Just the ankle."

Hearing your shortness, his jaw tightens. Quickly, Jungkook closes the space between you to kneel by your side. Since being deposited on the mattress, you've tried to undo your boot laces, but your fingers are stiff.

"Here." Jungkook brushes you aside. Undoing the laces himself, he eases off your shoes and sets them on the ground.

Once your shoes have been removed, the difference between your ankles is obvious. Even you wince, seeing the visible swelling.

Sitting back on his heels, Jungkook shoves a hand through his hair. "Do you need help with your jacket?" he asks, looking up and you realize you haven't changed.

"No," you say, hastily unzipping. "I can do it."

His brow furrows at your tone but Jungkook remains silent. Once your coat is removed, he stands and drapes this over his own. Returning to the bed, Jungkook kneels by your side.

By this point, your ankle is throbbing. Collapsing onto the pillows, you extend your legs with a barely restrained groan.

Jungkook's gaze flickers. "Can I take off your socks?"

After a moment, you nod and prop yourself up on your elbow.

He works slowly, peeling off the socks which have been dampened by snow. Placing these aside, he stands and returns with the gauze and cold pack. Shivering, you recoil from the frigid air on your skin.

"Do you want an insulation blanket?" Jungkook asks quietly.

"I'm okay."

He nods, then looks up. "Can I examine you?"

"I – what?"

Lifting a brow, Jungkook slips a hand beneath your left foot. "Is this the ankle that hurts? Can I examine it?"

His fingers are cold, and you shiver again. "Oh. Yeah," you manage to say.

Slight regret colors his gaze. "Sorry."

Removing his hand, Jungkook cups them around his mouth to blow – slow and even. You stare, and when he returns his hand to your foot, his fingers are warm. Lifting your ankle, Jungkook shifts to better see it in the light.

Faint, purplish bruises are already visible but at least nothing protrudes. You remember enough from first aid to know this to be a good sign. Jungkook's fingers are sure but careful on your ankle, moving over the joint.

"Does this hurt?" he murmurs, applying the gentlest pressure.

"I – a little," you admit.

He pauses, then meets your gaze. "Let's test if you can put weight on it – alright?"

You nod, allowing him to help you from the bed. Jungkook's arm encircles your waist and again, you're consumed by the warm smell of peppermint. You're reminded of a distant memory but can't quite recall. There's a blurry night and Christmas songs, but the moment you think this, the memory is gone.