Epilogue

CHRISTMAS EVE, ONE YEAR LATER

Saturday, December 24th 9:17 PM

"A little to the left, don't you think?"

Taehyung laughs by your side. "Y/N." He sips his champagne. "I've watched you adjust that star five times since I got here. This is a party. Act like it."

"Sorry – sorry, you're right," you say.

The annual Christmas Eve party is in full swing at the Inn. The lobby has been decorated within an inch of its life, thanks to Tonja returning for the holiday season. Due to last year's PR stunt, the Inn has been booked solid for nearly twelve months.

What started as guests coming because of Jungkook turned into travel agents recommending you as a niche getaway. Namjoon's parents were stunned by the results, saying this surpassed even their Hawaii resort. Jungkook was ridiculously pleased by this, referring to himself for three weeks as the man who outsold Timothée Chalamet.

This week has been the busiest yet, with people coming from all over to celebrate the holidays. You've worked non-stop, per usual but this Christmas has been different because this year, you aren't celebrating alone.

Taehyung arrived two days ago and is staying through New Year's. Your mom and Romel will come after Christmas and leave sometime in January. And Jungkook has been here since the start of December.

Usually, he's either training or competing during the winter but Jungkook worked out a deal to train at a nearby facility during the week and the rest of the time, he's been here. Helping you out – and cleaning up after Bam when he gets himself in trouble.

As though called into being, the crowd parts to reveal Jungkook near the fireplace. When he spots you, he waves, winding his way through the revelers to stand at your side.

Slipping an arm around your waist, he pulls you close.

"You look beautiful," Jungkook says, brushing a kiss to your temple

"You said that earlier," you scold, although you can't help but smile. "When I left our room."

"I know, but I meant it."

"Who said you're not great with words?" you murmur, turning to kiss him fully.

The kiss turns a bit heated until pointedly, Taehyung clears his throat. Hastily, you disengage and find your best friend grinning at you like a proud father.

"Who would have thought," he says, lifting his glass of champagne. "Nine years later, you'd be dating your Christmas ghost. Did Y/N tell you I tried to find you afterward?" he says to Jungkook. "Walked up and down the street calling your name."

"Jungkook?"

"No. Christmas ghost."

Jungkook snorts, taking a sip from a peppermint martini. "No, but you've told me that story. Several times."

Ducking your head, you try to hide your laughter.

"And I'll tell it again!" Taehyung cries, quoting Brooklyn 99 as he lifts his glass. "But seriously, Y/N. Everything comes full circle."

Jungkook squeezes your waist, and you smile.

Another new development has been Jungkook and Taehyung's friendship. You introduced them about a month into dating – surprisingly, they never hung out much in college – and the two instantly hit it off.

"And Leslie" – grimacing, Taehyung finishes his glass – "is exactly where she belongs. Which is not here."

Jungkook stiffens and now, it's your turn to squeeze his waist.

A few months into dating, you got your answer about Leslie. Shortly after New Year's Eve, you reached out to her but every text you sent went unanswered. It was a chance encounter between Taehyung and an old friend from college which revealed the full story.

As it turned out, Leslie saw the near kiss between you and Jungkook at the party. When Jungkook ended their relationship, Leslie was bitter and took it upon herself to ensure you never dated. Apparently, Leslie bragged about it while drunk to her theater troupe.

Finding this out was like a blow to the stomach. There was a part of you which understood. The almost-kiss wasn't your proudest moment, either – but the way Leslie reacted was undeniably petty. For a while you were angry, but you eventually realized you're better off without her. You have other friends now, new people in your life who support your happiness.

Glancing at Jungkook, you smile, and his eyes crinkle.

"Let's not ruin the evening by talking about her," you suggest. "Current friends only."

"Sounds good." Waving a hand, Taehyung flags down a passing waiter. "Three glasses of champagne, please."

The waiter nods and takes off. All the staff are present, scattered about the party. Yoongi is playing Christmas songs on the piano – he's a concierge of many talents – while Namjoon speaks to his parents before the giant tree.

Tonja and Hoseok are laughing about something in the corner. Hoseok was promoted to head chef over the summer, and his restaurant has also become a big tourist draw. Jimin and Seokjin are around here somewhere, probably fending off their daily admirers.

When the waiter returns with champagne, Taehyung leaves to say hello to Namjoon. Left alone once more, you turn to face Jungkook.

He squints at the tree. "Is that star crooked?"

Your eyes widen in panic.

Glancing sideways, Jungkook winks and you realize he's joking.

"Jungkook!" you cry.

"I'm sorry – I'm sorry!" he laughs, as you swat his sweater. "Taehyung texted me five minutes ago and asked me to say it."

"Not fair!" you complain. "You're supposed to be on my side."

"There are no sides," he teases, wrapping both arms around you. "Besides, there was twenty dollars attached to the request, which I plan to spend on you. Better?"

"Better," you agree, resting your chin on his chest.

"How's your ankle?"

Hiding a smile, you roll your eyes. "I hurt my ankle almost a year ago. When am I going to live that down?"

"Never." Jungkook grins. "Although I wouldn't mind another trip to the cabin this year."

His words make you shiver.

Your ankle last year turned out to be a bad sprain, but it took several weeks for it to fully heal. During this time, Jungkook insisted you refrain from anything strenuous. Once you were cleared, the two of you actually slept together and – well. The weeks which followed were a blur. Several times, you stopped at the cabin midway through skiing for a quick release.

Resting your chin on his chest, you allow your eyes to shut. Your heart feels so frighteningly full now. This feeling used to be terrifying, since you were convinced it meant another shoe was about to drop. Lately though, you've allowed yourself to enjoy. To savor the moment, rather than worrying about when it might disappear.

Gently, Jungkook's lips brush your hair. "Have I said how incredibly proud I am?" he murmurs, surveying the party.

You follow his gaze around the room. "A few times."

"Good. Nearly enough, then."

You smile and turn your face up to his. "Merry Christmas," you tell him, hoping he can hear everything between the lines.

Jungkook's eyes shine in response. "Merry Christmas, Y/N."