04 - running for it

Thursday, July 21st

Thursday, July 21st

Dawson presses his lips into a firm line. "Good, that's what I like to hear." Before stepping back, he loosens his grip and ruffles my hair. "Wait here for a little longer, my friends are still dealing with yours."

I continue to eye him as he walks out of the room, analyzing his movements in an attempt to read what he's thinking. Surely, he has more planned than us just joining him. When he steps out of the room, I peek around the door frame to see him walking into another room.

This is my chance. I inhale sharply for confidence.

I get up from my chair and make my way to the corner of the room where there's a prominent blind spot. I then frantically look around me for something sharp enough to cut the duct tape that is cinched around my wrists.

"Come on," I whisper to myself. "Come on!"

The rings on my fingers eventually come to mind.

I bite around the ring on my pointer finger slightly, twisting it so I can slide it off. Once it's in my mouth, I adjust it between my teeth so that the pointy edge faces outward.

"Please work," I beg to whoever is listening.

I bring my hands to my mouth, dragging the ring across the tape. To my surprise, it cuts through quite easily, but there are too many layers of tape for the ring to cut through in one go.

Outside of the room, I start to hear faint footsteps, causing me to pause and eye the door. Sweat starts to build up on my temples from anxiety of being caught. Once the footsteps get further away, I begin cutting the tape again until I get down to the last layer.

I slowly rip the last of the tape quietly to avoid any attention being drawn towards my direction. I hear Dawson's voice from down the hall, and not much time passes before I hear another set of voices near this room.

"Hey Val," a man says. It sounds like they're right outside the door. "Where's Farrow?"

Fuck.

"What do you mean, 'where's Farrow'?" a woman replies, gritting through her teeth with a hint of distress.

"Shit," he whispers to the woman before shouting, "Yo, D!"

He pauses and then speaks again, "I thought Farrow was supposed to be in this room... right?"

A long pause filled with suffocating silence follows.

I'm a hundred percent sure that Dawson just lost his cool.

"Gather the others, and find him." His voice fills the silence, accompanied with the obvious sound of anger and frustration.

"Yes, sir." The two in front of the door quickly run to follow his orders.