Part 9 - Festive Mood

☆★☆

☆★☆

It was the time of year when everyone got busy in preparation for Lantern Rite. I was excited to participate in it again after such a long time. The streets in Liyue harbor must be buzzing with people going to and fro getting everything ready and perfect for the upcoming festival. That is what I thought at least.

Currently, I was being kept under the vigilant eye of a yaksha at Wangshu Inn. Because I've been getting more and more tired recently, he thinks it's best I rest here; and my stupid brother allowed it.

I was swinging my legs off the roof of the Inn, watching the people below happily eat or take a break before heading to the harbor to take part in Lantern Rite.

I jumped down on the balcony sighing loudly before glancing over very discreetly at Xiao to see if he noticed. If he did, he was not making any sign to show it. I move next to him and once again sigh very loudly, but still no reaction from the man. I frown and begin poking his shoulder.

"Xiao~~" I whine. This finally made him turn to me. "Come on. I wanna help with the Lantern Rite too." I frown.

"Y/n. You're in no condition-"

"Xiao." I interrupt him. "It's my body. I know my limits. Don't make me remind you who's older." I looked in his golden eyes with a stern look and could see the worry in his. I sighed and started again more softly. "Look. I promise I won't push my limits, if I get tired I'll stop. You can even stay close if it makes you feel better." I beg him.

He sighs, exasperated " Fine. I'll come with you." he finally gives in.

"Yes!" I cheer because of how easy he gave up thinking it would have taken a bit more whining for him to give in. I take his hand and we both teleport to Liyue harbor.

Before I could take off, Xiao grabs my wrist and pulls me behind a wall, my back hitting the cold surface in surprise as one of his hands holds my shoulder still. He gives me a tired look and sighs pointing at my head. I look at him confused, not quite understanding what his problem was.

"Your horns, idiot. And tail for that matter." he informs me.

"Oh! Could have told me without the insult." I roll my eyes and he copies folding his arms in front of him. I touch my horns and tail softly, which was moving left and right, from my excitement, before I will them away, which surprisingly worked faster than usual. "Thanks!" I tell him happily, my mood back up. "Let's go now!"

I grab Xiao's hand and drag him from behind the wall into the busy streets of Liyue. There were a few more merchants around than last time I was here, people looking more busy too, but all with smiles on their faces and talking in cheerful voices about Lantern Rite. I quickly let go of Xiao's hand and let the crowd take me to different stalls. I walk to each one happily conversing with the owners that started a conversation.

"Have a good rest of the day, young lady!" a shop keeper that I was just talking to said and waved his hand before turning to his next customer.

I made my way to the next place that caught my eye, the excitement of the festival adding a skip to my step. That is when I bumped into someone. I stumbled back a few steps, but was caught by Xiao, his hands on my shoulders steadying me.

"Ah, Aether! Are you okay?" I look towards the high pitched voice and find none other then Paimon, worrying over Aether who was the one I apparently bumped into.

"I'm okay Paimon. Are you- Oh! Y/n? Are you alright?" Aether comes up to me, now his turn to worry.

"Yup! I'm completely fine. Sorry, I wasn't looking." I apologise to the blonde with a sheepish smile.

"Xiao's here too?! We were just about to come try convince you to attend Lantern Rite. We had the whole thing planned too!" Paimon sounds surprised at first then starts complaining.

"You made our jobs easier Y/n" Aether says with a genuine smile.

"Don't worry. He's my guard dog for the day. As long as I'm here, he won't be leaving either!" I give Aether a thumbs up.

"Hah? Since when am I your dog?" Xiao questions annoyed.

☆★☆

Aether POV

After that, the two start arguing with each other. I think this is the most emotion I've seen on Xiao's face, his eyes sparkling when looking at the goddess despite them apparently arguing right now.

Glancing next to me, I could tell Paimon was losing her patience.

"Okay you two! Paimon thinks you should stop this lover's quarrel already!" she tells them with her hands on her hips.

"We're not lovers!" they both shout at the same time.

I start laughing quietly. The goddess and adeptus look at each other and Y/n joins me, her laugh louder than mine. What surprised me, was the small smile that made its way on Xiao's face.

☆★☆

Reader POV

"Y/n, it's not that funny." Xiao grumbles.

"Yeah yeah. I know." I try saying between giggles, slowly calming down.

I finally calm down and look up at Aether, who was giving me a warm smile that I returned.

"How about we all hang out if we're already here." Aether suggests.

"Paimon thinks that's a great idea. Let's go grab something to eat! Paimon's starving. And if we find Childe along the way, let's make him pay!"

"I mean the more the merrier!" I say looking between everyone.

"Great! Let's go!"

After Paimon gives the go, I look at Xiao giving him a bright smile before I grab his arm and link it with mine, then going to Aether and doing the same. With his free hand, Aether grabs Paimon and the four of us make our way through the festival, some laughing more than others.