prologue.

"papá! here, the wood you asked for!" she chimed, a small indent in the dirt below as a plank of wood much bigger than herself drug after her.

"thank you mija , you know where it goes," her father replied from high up, hidden by a large platform of oak planks. continuous ruckus sounding from metal hitting nail, each hit making the ground vibrate ever so slightly.

humming, she pulled the long planks she had gotten from the pile just a few feet away onto a wider wooden board, vertical ropes tied to each of it's four corners. soon, the board began to ascend, up to the platform above while she raced it. climbing the sturdy ladder made out of wooden planks nailed to the trunk of the grand oak she'd decided on.

her father let out a tired sigh as he backed away from a wall. looking back at the creation her, and him took days to make. the treehouse she had been dreaming about had been finished. the tree that was built upon was one of the tallest she could find. the house made out of more oak wood. windows unframed, and opened. a deck fully surrounding the exterior walls, and short railings edging each side. she'd gotten creative with the materials they had, and hung a swing to the middle of a long, thick branch with a rope.

she squealed, eyes shining in admiration at the handmade building. jumping at her dad, she clung to him with the biggest hug she could conjure.

"thank you papá, this is everything to me," although she was much thankful for the treehouse, she was truly talking about the time she had been gifted to spend with her father for possibly the last time.