chapter 10.

you're welcome

her
you snuck around casita, the home of the madrigals. you'd been asked to fetch sand by bruno so that he could proceed with seeing another vision. to think antonio's room wouldn't have some sort of beach in his room, after all it was a tropical-jungley room, it was a surprise to you that it didn't have sand. mirabel had informed you that bruno's room had some that you could collect from, so she gave you a plastic bag, and sent you on your way. you were in no place to protest, so you did as told. now sneaking around the second floor, hiding behind pots of plants, and walls to avoid the attendants living on the property. so far, it was going well, you were almost there.

"[y.n]? what are you still doing here?"

but then you just had to jinx it.

camilo hovered over you as you stuck your back to a wall. his head shifted to your own, his mother's, then back to his. it seemed that their powers were getting more, and more out of control as time goes by.

"ah, camilo," usually you wouldn't take so long to find an excuse, but this time you were struggling. he was right why would you still be there? "i'm looking for mirabel, after the whole um—event during dinner i got worried about her. after all she is my friend,"

the boy hummed. he didn't look at convinced. in all honesty, it was a good answer, but you'd taken a bit to long. plus, he wasn't stupid. although he'd only met you just a while ago, he's seen hot enough times, and obviously knew something more was up. you internally face planted, rolling your eyes to cover up your embarrassment.

groaning, you succumbed to the inevitable. you'd been caught.

"fine! i've been helping mirabel. we've been trying to figure out how to fix the miracle so the prophecy where casita breaks doesn't come true, but we are still in the middle of figuring out how. however! we have a pretty good lead, and i have to get sand," you rambled, most of it blurring together. you smiled awkwardly, hoping he would understand, and not rat the two of you out. camilo was a trustworthy person, right?

it became silent for a second or two as the boy processed the information you blurred out.

he shook his head, "let me get this straight, you've been helping mirabel this whole time?"

"yes, but i had no idea that— that was going to happen at dinner. mirabel, and i split ways when we came across you this morning," you explained, trying to hush him from shouting as to not alert the rest of his family, "i'll explain more later, but right now, i need to get sand,"

he followed after you just like many times before as you snuck through the hall towards bruno's tower.

"sand for what exactly,"

"for bruno's vision?" he asked, much louder than necessary. your hand flung to his mouth, your eyes wide with warning.

"shut up, you're gonna get us caught,"

as you both climbed up the stairs to bruno's door, the floors creaked which made you both freeze. if anyone else found out, you may be in bigger trouble than with just camilo. when you made sure it was safe to continue seeing as no one was near, you opened the door to the gifted room.

your features overcame with shock as you looked at the small space, a wall of falling sand ahead.

"mirabel wasn't kidding when she said there would be more than enough sand in here," you muttered. camilo chuckled behind you at your tone.

you pulled out the plastic bag you had previously pocketed, and ran it under the waterfall of sand—sandfall—and watched as it filled up with the beige mineral. when content with the amount you had, you tied the open end together, and hauled it over your shoulder. as heavy as it was, you tried to take track back to antonio's room while the sand was weighing you down.

camilo noticed your slight struggle, and had to suppress a snicker, "i could carry it for you, y'know?"

you hummed in confusion, turning your head to see the boy's face as he caught up with you. you'd expected for him to go back to whatever he was doing before you bumped into each other.

"seeing as i already know what's going on, i might aswell tag along?" camilo said. the tone of his voice sounded like it was of finality. like he already made up his mind, and wasn't going to take no for an answer.

"but it might be dangerous, it's best for you to not get involved," it's not like you didn't want camilo's company throughout this whole thing, but what you said was true. it may be dangerous. after all, you were dealing with the fate of the miracle. who knows might happen.

"just the more reason i come with. i don't want anything bad to happen to you," camilo said, heaving the heavy bag of sand from your shoulder to his, and began walking towards the exit of bruno's room.

though, you stayed back for a second, frozen in place. perhaps you were overreacting, overthinking. it seemed that he hadn't even noticed what he said, but either way—heat flourished to your face, dusting your ears red, and your cheekbones pink. such little, unnoticeable affection seemed to have an everlasting effect on someone like you.

"lead the way," he called back. you shook yourself out of the small trance, hitting yourself in the head internally, and feeling the heat fade away before the boy could see.

finally, you made your way back to antonio's room. though this time.. you were accompanied by a plus one that may get you into a bit of trouble.

look at me, updating twice in one day!