chapter 3.

her
you would see reyna, running around, and after the youngest madrigal every once in awhile. it seemed the two had been friends previous to the ceremony which was totally new information to you. you'd separated from the boyish madrigal you had yet to get the name of, one because you were hungry, and wanted to get snacks. and two, it was probably nearing the time of the climax of the ceremony where antonio would finally get his gift.

a drink in your hand, punch from the food, and drink table, you stood off to the side. being the type of person that didn't reach out to others first unless needed, you didn't really know anyone. for your family, you'd neglected to see any of them recently—they seemed to have all disappeared on you.

boredly swishing the red juice around in your cup, you sighed. there was no way you would pop into the middle of the dance floor on your own. someone would have to drag you before you dared to try. thankfully, the lights started to dim. and music lowered to silence. attention was drawn to alma, the madrigal abuela, as she started a quick speech.

you could see the white lights casting onto the split in the crowed connecting the stairs to a curtained doorway. you guessed antonio was hidden behind that curtain. humming to yourself, you migrated towards the front, sneaking past the tall bodies until you could see clearly.

finally, the noise of abuela alma's voice stopped, and a reel of a curtain replaced it. revealing the dark skinned, curly haired boy. nervousness was plastered on his face as he looked around—at the big crowd, at the stairs, at his family waiting for him. his eyes landed on something behind the wall, and held his hand out whispering words you couldn't hear.

a girl with short curly hair, and glasses stepped out.

mirabel. one of the only madrigal's you had even took the care to talk to. she was a sweet one, like sugar, and strawberries.

mirabel grasped antonio's hand before walking side by side with him down the lit path. it seemed she felt a bit out of place, and zoned out here, and there. you had little memory of the past, but somewhat remembered the event's of the girl's gift ceremony. the last one to happen which unfolded into utter disaster when she failed to receive a gift. you kept back a pitiful look as you watched antonio hold the candle at the top of the stairs, repeating a few vows that abuela alma said aloud.

at some point, your eyes drifted from the dark skinned boy, and instead to an older one leaning on the railing just a few feet away. his brown eyes focused on his little brother, face illuminated with a yellow glow from the dishevelled door. you couldn't look away from the expressions etched onto his face. it seemed he went through different emotions until they finally settled into relief. looking back at the door, you found that the glowing door had appeared with the image of antonio surrounded by all types of different animals. you smiled, happy for him, and for the fact that the tragedy from the last gift ceremony had not continued.

antonio opened his door, and darted inside. the guests all rushing after him to get inside with no hesitation or wait.

"impatient much?" you muttered. taking your time, you grabbed another chip from the snack bowl before following the large group of people. stumbling as you almost got trampled by a jaguar as it pounced into the room, and swooped the boy up.

lights, colours of green, blues, and oranges shined in your eyes like fireworks as you looked around. feeling like an ant in a room so large, and tropical. you jumped as you felt small, dull claws grip at your shoulder. turning your head, your eyes widened at the sight of a small lemur with big amber eyes staring right back at you. it's tail swished back, and fourth, tickling your open back. seeing as the animal wasn't doing any harm, you inwardly shrugged, and continued into the youngest madrigal's room.

fun fact, grey mouse lemurs are my favourite animal.