SSAK 6

Tina and I arrived to the bonfire a little past 10pm. This time round, being late had been because of me. I couldn't fathom how I was going to react if I saw Clayton. 

I hadn't been sure if he was going to go for the bonfire and yes I didn't have his number to ask such a question. It was best if we didn't really have any interaction going for us. This summer was about to end and I doubt I was going to see him anytime soon.

Once summer came to an end I wasn't sure we would get to see each other. For one, mum and I planned to move to Italy, to see the world, well I had university to get on with but who said I couldn't multitask. Clayton had only come to visit Mason for this summer so there was that too.

I was more scared for me because I could potentially catch feelings any minute. Kendall always teased me and said I was a simp to the fourth degree. I didn't know what that meant but he couldn't be wrong. I knew of recent my new change and look upgrade had got so many guys sliding into my DMs but I also was still insecure. What if someone was playing a crude joke? Besides I personally wasn't too much a fan of rejection.

The moment Kendall saw that Tina and I had pulled up, he screamed loudly that I feared Mr Jones, the forest warden would hear us. Not that the music wasn't loud enough already but a group of hormonally active teenagers screaming and whistling at the top of their voices was a want for disaster.

Kendall approached us giving me both Tina and I hugs before proceeding to hold me closely next to him.

"Did you get the blunts, Tina?" Everyone in our year knew that Tina was the go-to person for joints. Her plugs tended to make the sickest joints that it was hard to resist.

Tina nodded and that earned her a huge smile and shove from Kendall.

"Guess we're taking a walk." Kendall said proudly.

"Can I first go and get my mosquito repellant?" I quickly pulled myself out of Kendall's grip despite his many faces of him pleading. I knew after the weed hit his system, there's no way he would miss me that much. Besides, Tina had said he had just broken up with his girl yesterday night, so he was bound to be in his terrible mood.

I bent over the car as I pulled out my repellant and quickly applied it. It had a strawberry scent which made it a thousand times more than appealing to me.

"Delilah?"

Oh shit

"You came? I thought you would be back to your hometown by now!"  I nearly slapped myself after that statement.

"I like your dress. It suits you ." Clayton said giving a once over as if to re appreciate the look, before winking at me.

"Here with anyone ?"he asked and quickly looked around but the sight before us was just people hurdled in a group heating their marshmallows.

"Umm ya. Came with Tina. She went for a walk with Kendall"

"Can I join you?" He asked while moving to the driver's seat before he could hear my reply.

Sighing, I stepped into the car and sat with him.

"Do you listen to Taylor?" I asked already pulling our my phone to open my Tidal app.

"If you mean do I know some songs of hers, yes. But listening, I never have quite got the chance to listen to her exclusively."

I burst out laughing which probably got Clay phased out.

"What's funny? Something on my face?" He asked quickly running some hands to check his face.

"No, you just spoke like any boy would. " Getaway car started to play as I set my phone onto the dashboard and turned to face him.

"So"

"So" he mimicked right back.

"Oh wow" I said rolling my and proceeding to lean back in my chair.

"This is actually a nice song" he said while looking at me.

"That's all you wanted to say ? " I inquired.

"Nah actually I have been wanting to see you again, but since I didn't have your number, I wasn't sure I could just invite myself to your house again."

"Clay, I'm not a casual type of thing girl.  So be it summer or not, nah. I am certain Mason would have grilled you on that by now."

"Why do you think I just want a summer fling first of all?

""Cause you're you. " I turned slightly to look outside. I felt terrible saying that. I probably was even over thinking the whole thing. 

"You think so low of me. Yes we hooked up. But it doesn't mean I am so much of an inhuman. I wanted to see you so that we could hang. I like your company." He shrugged and leaned back as well. Well if that ain't embarrassing and emotionally painful.

"We're hanging now." I said looking back at him.

"You could say that." He said and pointedly looked at the camp. "Are you always this closed in?"

"Huh?" Why was he wanting a deep conversation right now ?

"Just answer Delilah. It won't break you."

"Way to make me feel comfortable." I sighed. " I haven't always been this closed in. Just circumstances and some of the people around me haven't been the best support systems."

" so why keep them around?" Clay asked while turning to look at me.

"Honestly, I don't know why" I shrugged before adjusting my seat a bit more. "if you knew how my high school life had been before this summer, I don't think you would care to ask these questions."

"Well I guess it's nice I do not know. So maybe you could tell me or not if you're not okay sharing."

"What are you aiming at Clayton Chester ? This ain't therapy."

"Just curious. I mean if you're going to date me at some point in time, I assume I'll get to know all this not so ?" Clayton turned to look at me with the most sheepish of smiles ever.

"Date? Clayton you're funny. Eccentric white boys aren't my type."

" You shouldn't be the one speaking." He winked and I could swear I was going to melt there and then.

"Doesn't count. Do you know why I fear opening up to you?"

"Enlighten me." Clayton's face had taken up a serious stature as his eyes bore into me.

"You're only here for this summer obviously. Then there will be college. I doubt I'll see you."

"Well I know I'll get to see you. Besides we're obviously both infatuated with each other. It wouldn't hurt to know each other."

"Do these words work on every girl ?" I chuckled.

"I don't know. We would have to ask my exes."